Set up (mobile apps)
Set up new properties for Mobile App Analytics
Follow these steps to create an app property in your account.
Follow the instructions below to set up and get the tracking ID for a new app property in either a new or existing Google Analytics account.
Before you start the process, consult our best practices for mobile app analytics set up for recommendations on how to configure your app properties.
Set up an app property in a Google Analytics account
If you are setting up a new Google Analytics account, start at step 5. If you already have a Google Analytics account and are adding an app property, start at step 1.
- Sign in to your Google Analytics account.
- Click Admin in the top menu bar.
- From the Account column, use the dropdown menu to select the account you want to add the new app property to. If you have a lot of accounts, use the search bar to help you find the right account. You can also create a new account. A new property is automatically created through the process of creating a new account.
- Under the Property column, click the dropdown menu and select Create new property.
- Select App as the type of property you want to track.
- Type in an Name.
If you plan on tracking more than one app in your account, use a very specific and descriptive name.
- Select an Industry Category.
- Select your Reporting Time Zone.
This only affects the time that appears in your reports.
- Enter an Account Name.
This option only appears when creating a property on new accounts. You can have multiple accounts in Google Analytics, and multiple properties per account. Use a descriptive and accurate name for each account to help you remember what you’re tracking.
- Choose your data sharing options.
This option only appears when creating a property on new accounts.
- Click Get Tracking ID.
- Downloadone of the Google Analytics SDKs. If you want to do this later, you can also download an SDK from the Google Developers site. You can also optionally download an SDK integrated with AdMob. Remember to include your Google Analytics tracking ID in your set up, regardless of which SDK you use.
This should be completed by the app developer. If you are not the developer, give your tracking ID to the developer, and ask them to download the appropriate SDK.
You can always come back to this page in your account to reference the tracking ID for a property or download a another SDK. To see this page again, click Admin, navigate to the property, and click the Tracking Info tab.
When you’re done setting up your tracking, learn about views and how to set up new views or edit views settings in your account. Views allow you to filter the raw data you collect in a property so you can customize the data you see in your reports.