Set up (mobile apps)
Set up new properties for Mobile App Analytics
How to create an app property in your account.
Follow the instructions below to set up and get the tracking ID for a new app property in either a new or existing Google Analytics account.
Before you start the process, consult our best practices for mobile app analytics set up for recommendations on how to configure your app properties.
Set up an app property in a Google Analytics account
If you are setting up a new Google Analytics account, start at step 5. If you already have a Google Analytics account and are adding an app property, start at step 1.
- From your Analytics Account home, click Admin.
- Find the account you want to add the new app property to. If you have a lot of accounts, click the All Accounts link just below the menu bar. Use the search box to help find the right account.
- From the table, click the account name you want to add the property to. If you want create a new account, click +New Account. A new property is automatically added to all new accounts
- Click +New Property (web or app).
- Select App as the type of property you want to track.
App tracking data can only appear in designated app properties, and web tracking data can only appear in designated web properties. If you want to track both apps and websites using Google Analytics, you must use different separate properties. Alternative configurations are not supported and will result in corrupted or incomplete data.
- Type in an Name.
If you plan on tracking more than one app in your account, use a very specific and descriptive name.
- Select an Industry Category.
- Select your Reporting Time Zone.
This only affects the time that appears in your reports.
- Enter an Account Name.
This option only appears when creating a property on new accounts. You can have multiple accounts in Google Analytics, and multiple properties per account. Use a descriptive and accurate name for each account to help you remember what you’re tracking.
- Choose your data sharing options.
This option only appears when creating a property on new accounts.
- Click Get Tracking ID.
- Use the Google Analytics SDKs and implement the tracking code, including the tracking ID. You can also optionally download either SDK integrated with AdMob.
This should be completed by the app developer. If you are not the developer, give your tracking ID to the developer, and ask them to download the appropriate SDK.
You can always come back to this page in your account to reference the tracking ID for a property or download a another SDK. To see this page again, click Admin, navigate to the property, and click the Tracking Info tab.
When you’re done setting up your tracking, learn about views and how to set up new views or edit views settings in your account. Views allow you to filter the raw data you collect in a property so you can customize the data you see in your reports.