About Mobile App Analytics
Get the data you need to understand how well your mobile apps perform.
What is Mobile App Analytics?
Mobile App Analytics captures mobile app-specific usage data and integrates it with your Google Analytics account, where you can reapply your knowledge of web analytics to dedicated app reports. This suite of reports provides the tools and metrics you need to analyze and evaluate your app performance, including:
- the number of installations
- devices and networks used to access app
- the geographic location and languages spoken by visitors
- in-app purchase totals
- customized tracking of special content, like video
- the number of screens seen per visit, and the order in which visitors move through these screens
Set up Mobile App Analytics
Setting up Mobile App Analytics is a two step process that requires Edit access to a Google Analytics account and technical knowledge of your app development environment. If you don’t have a Google Analytics account yet, you can sign up now.
Before starting the App Analytics set up process, we recommend you consult our best practices for mobile app analytics set up and create an implementation plan. When you’re ready, read the set up overview for a general outline of the process and to find links to the detailed instructions.
The Mobile App Analytics Reports
Summaries of your reports are aggregated into the App Overview, the default report in an app property. Individual App Analytics Reports are organized into four categories, each containing a dedicated set of reports:
- Audience: Get to know the people using your app — where they are, how often and long they use an app, and what devices are popular with your visitors.
- Acquisition: Find out how often your app is downloaded and installed, and how successful certain marketing campaigns are in attracting visitors.
- Behavior: Track in detail the ways users interact with your app. Find out which screens are viewed in a typical visit, or set up Event Tracking to analyze custom actions, like button clicks and video plays. Technical exceptions and crashes are also included in this set of reports.
- Conversion: Know the real value of your app. Set up Goals and Ecommerce to track targeted objectives, like completed sign-ups and product sales.
Individually, these reports provide data about how people use your app. Together, they offer the information you need to understand and improve the performance of your apps.
Visit the pages for these report categories in this Help Center for more information on how to use each set of reports.