About the Goal Flow report
Visualize your Goal conversions.
The Goal Flow report shows the path your traffic traveled through a funnel towards a Goal conversion. This report can help you see if users are navigating your content as expected, or if there are problems, such as high drop-off rates or unexpected loops.In this article:
Goal Flow report prerequisites
You must have set up Goals to use the Goal Flow report, and you should combine Goals and Funnels for better information.
Access the Goal Flow report
To see the Goal Flow report:
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Navigate to your view.
- Select the Reporting tab.
- Select Conversions from the Report navigation, then expand the Goals menu and select Goal Flow.
What can I do with the Goal Flow report?
Use the Goal Flow report to investigate questions like:
- Where do users enter my funnel—at the first step, or are they jumping in somewhere in the middle?
- Are there a lot of unexpected exits from a step in the middle of the funnel?
- Is there a place where traffic loops back?
- Is there one segment of traffic that acts differently than other segments? Is it converting more or less often?
If a segment of traffic behaves differently than you would like at any particular step, take a look at that content. You might find an element that doesn’t render properly or that the navigation from a user's perspective is different than you expected when you set up your funnel. After an evaluation and making any necessary corrections, revisit the Goal Flow Report in a few weeks to see if the changes you made improved the conversion rate for that specific Goal.
Limits of the Goal Flow report
Goal data is processed differently from regular Google Analytics data. Learn more about features with non-standard data processing.
Assuming you have already created at least 1 Goal and collected some data for it, access the Goal Flow report now and explore. For information about how to configure the report and use the different visualization options, read Using Flow reports.
Once you have a general idea of how the Goal Flow report works, read the "Example" articles in this topic to see some specific recommendations for using the report to optimize your content and troubleshoot issues.