Using flow reports
Although you might see a special feature in a specific Flow Report, these controls are standard in all reports.
- Select a Dimension
- Apply Segments
- Pan and Zoom
- Filter for traffic volumes
- Examining Nodes and Connections
- Focus on one traffic segment
- Change and compare dates
- Export a report
Select a Dimension
Dimensions provide a starting point for the data you see in a report. For example, if you select Country/Territory as a Dimension, country names appear as Dimension values in the nodes in the left column, indicating traffic represented in the report is linked to those locations.
To customize the values of the Dimensions you see, click the gear icon next to the dimension menu to open the Customize Dimension Items control.
Enter up to 5 regular expressions to customize the dimensions. For example, if you are using the Country/Territory dimension and want to match United States, enter the following then click Apply:
- Match type: Equals
- Expression: United States
- Name: United States.
Apply a Default or an Advanced Segment
Segments are like dynamic filters that allow you to dissect traffic quickly. Default Segments, like New Visitors and Direct Traffic, are standard in all Google Analytics accounts. Use Segments to filter for specific traffic, like visitors who have made a purchase, or spend more than a certain amount of time on your site.
Pan and Zoom
Use the arrows to pan right and left. You can also grab and drag the screen with your mouse to pan. Zoom makes the nodes and connections smaller or larger.
Filter the display based on traffic volume
Use the Connections slider to filter the display based on connection volume. The slider doesn’t affect the number of connections; it’s just a way for you to view fewer or more connections in a report.
Examining the Nodes and Connections
Hover over a node, connection, or exit to see more details, like:
- The total number of visits or step completions for the node
- How many visitors moved on to another page or event
- How many visitors exited your site from that node
- The number of pages or events represented by a node
Focus on one traffic segment
Click a node to select one of the following options:
- Highlight traffic through here: Highlights the all the connections through the entire flow made by that traffic segment. To remove the highlight, click the node again, then click Clear highlighting.
- View only this segment (dimension nodes only): Only displays the traffic from that dimension/segment. Use the browser button or the breadcrumb to go back.
- Explore traffic through here: Shows all connections to and from the node. In this mode, you can add additional steps in the paths before and after the node. Use the browser button or the breadcrumb to go back.
- Group details: Displays the components, like individual pages or events, that are grouped together in that node. Also breaks out the top metrics for individual items.
You can also click a connection to highlight just that traffic segment through the flow.
Change the date and use Date Comparison
By default, the Flow Reports displays data from the past 30 days but you can change the date with the calendar dropdown. To compare data from two date ranges, select Compare to Past and choose a second date range. Choose similar time periods — like full months or weeks that both start on a Monday — for a fair comparison.
The percentages and arrows that appear on the nodes in the report indicate the change in the degree and direction of traffic volume through each node. When you highlight a node or connection in a Flow, the percentages on each node change to indicate differences just within that traffic stream. You can also hover over a node for details on how data compares between the two dates.
Export a report
Export any Flow Report as a PDF from the menu by clicking Export and selecting PDF. What you see on your screen, including path highlights, appears in your document. For more information on exporting reports, read Email and Export Reports.
For details about a specific report, visit that section in the Help Center.