Search Engine Optimization
About Search Engine Optimization
The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) reports in Google Analytics provide information about Google Web Search queries that have returned URL results from your site. These reports are available if you have done two things:
- Added your site and verified it with Webmaster Tools.
If you have not yet used Webmaster Tools, you will need to add your site to Webmaster Tools to begin collecting search query data for the SEO reports in Analytics.
- Configuring SEO reporting within Google Analytics.
Using the SEO Reports in Analytics
With the SEO reports in Analytics, you can easily compare Google Web Search impressions and clicks for your site to other traffic source data from Analytics, such as paid AdWords impressions and clicks. By identifying the Google Web Search queries that drive traffic to your site, you can also learn which AdWords keywords make the most sense for your business objectives. In addition, you can identify how to optimize your website for both content and search quality.
The SEO reports in Google Analytics appear under the Traffic Sources section in the My Site tab of Analytics. These reports provide the following general data about your site's performance in Google Web Search results:
- Queries users typed to reach your site
- Number of impressions of your website's URLs in search results pages
- The number of clicks on your website's URLs from search results pages
- The ratio of clicks to impressions for your website's URLs
- The average position of your website's URLs in search listings
- The pages visitors landed on when clicking on search results listing your site
Using Webmaster Tools
If you already use Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics, the SEO reports provide a site performance view designed for Analytics. If you have not yet used Webmaster Tools, you will need to add your site to Webmaster Tools to begin collecting search query data for the SEO reports in Analytics.
In either case, Webmaster Tools provides you the following information and analysis beyond the SEO reports in Analytics:
- Webmaster Tools Site Performance Data
- Webmaster Tools Management Tasks