In Universal Analytics you can configure goals based on Average Session Duration and Pages/Screens per session. These are often referred to as engagement goals since they signal an overall threshold of engagement rather than the completion of a specific action.
In Google Analytics 4 properties (GA4) you can measure these activities in the following ways:
Replicate Pages/Screens per session goals as a GA4 audience
A Pages/Screens per session goal triggers when a user loads the specified number of pages or screens within a session. For example, in Universal Analytics, you can configure an engagement goal of more than 2 pages per session as follows:
You can use the GA4 audience builder to create groups of users who meet a similar goal:
- Create a new custom GA4 audience.
- Name this audience the same as your Universal Analytics Pages per session goal.
- Set the Membership duration to “Maximum limit”.
Note: You can create up to 100 audiences (400 for Analytics 360 properties).
- Set the Scope to “Within the same session”.
- Under Include Users when:
- Add a condition where event_name = page_view and the event_count parameter > 2.
- Add an OR clause.
- Add a condition where event_name = screen_view and the event_count parameter > 2.
Note: if your property doesn't include an app data stream, you won't see (or need) the screen_view event. Likewise, if your property doesn't include a web data stream, you won't see (or need) the page_view event.
- Create an audience trigger and use the same name as the Universal Analytics Pages per session goal.
Note: You can create up to 20 audience trigger events per property
- Click Save.
- Mark the audience trigger event you created in step 6 as a conversion.
GA4 automatically collects a number of engagement dimensions and metrics. These appear in several built-in reports, and you can add them to explorations. Learn more about engagement metrics in [GA4] Engagement metrics.
In particular, GA4 records a
user_engagement event for sessions that either:
- last more than 10 seconds, or
- contain a conversion event, or
- have two (or more) pageviews.
You can use
user_engagement as a proxy for Page/Screens per visit and Average Session Duration goals in Universal Analytics.