Google Analytics 4 (formerly known as “App + Web) is a new kind of property, with different reports than what you're used to seeing in Universal Analytics properties. One advantage of a Google Analytics 4 property is that you can use it for a website, an app, or both a website and app together. Universal Analytics properties only support websites. Read the announcement to learn more.
To try out the new Google Analytics, set up your website and/or app on a Google Analytics 4 property. There are three ways to do this. (You'll need Edit permission on the Google Analytics account.)
- Set up a new site on a Google Analytics 4 property. Do this if you are ready to rely on Google Analytics 4 reporting.
- Set up a new site on both Universal Analytics and Google Analytics 4. This sets up a parallel Google Analytics 4 property that collects data alongside your Universal Analytics property. It also establishes a connection between the two properties that willl allow you to migrate configuration settings from your Universal Analytics property to your Google Analytics 4 property later on.
- If you have a site that is set up on Universal Analytics, you can upgrade it to also use a Google Analytics 4 property. When you click Upgrade to GA4, you create a Google Analytics 4 property that collects data alongside your existing property. Your Universal Analytics property is left unchanged and continues to collect data -- you can always access it via the property selector or Admin screen.
If you use Google Analytics for Firebase for your app
Existing Google Analytics for Firebase customers are recommended to upgrade to Google Analytics 4 properties (formerly known as App + Web properties). When you upgrade to a Google Analytics 4 property, you can take advantage of the latest Analytics innovation and add your website data, without changing your existing Google Analytics for Firebase implementation.
Follow these instructions to upgrade your Firebase project to a Google Analytics 4 property.
Admins can continue to use the Setup Assistant to complete property configuration.
Once your new property is set up and data is flowing in, you can begin exploring:
- Learn about the Home page for an overview of your data
- Explore the Realtime report to see data coming in from the last 30 minutes
- Find your way around Google Analytics 4 properties to search, edit, and share reports
- Take our Skillshop Course to discover what’s new with Google Analytics