Start a group chat
Groups are limited to 256 people. You can add people directly, share the chat's link, or use a QR code. If you can't send a message using Allo, you'll see "Invite" next to the contact's name.
Start a new group chat
- On your computer, open Allo for web.
- Click Start a chat .
- From the Contacts list, click the names of the people you want to chat with. You can also search for their names or numbers.
- Click Create group.
- Enter your message and click Send .
Note: If you have Allo on an Android phone, you can make yourself a group manager when creating the group chat on the mobile app. You can't go back and turn on these controls after the group is created. You also can choose to add a photo, or choose an avatar.
Add someone to a group chat
- Click the group chat you want to add someone to.
- In the upper right, click the profile icon.
- Choose one of the following:
- Add a person directly: Tap Add people Click Tap the person's name Next.
- Send someone a link: You'll need to share the link through your Allo mobile app, but people can use the link on their computer to join. Click Group Details Share invite link Choose an app to send the link. You can edit the invitation message before you send it.
Options to exit group chats
When you leave a group, your group chat history will be deleted from your device. But the messages won't be deleted on other people's devices.
- Click the group conversation you want to leave.
- In the upper right, click the profile icon Group details Leave and delete chat history.
- Click Leave to confirm you're leaving the group chat.
If your group chat has a group manager, then only the manager can remove someone from the chat. If group chat doesn't have a manager, anyone can remove someone at any time.
When you remove someone, the messages will be deleted from their device.
- Click the group conversation from which you want to remove someone.
- In the upper right, tap the profile icon Group details.
- Click the person’s name Remove from group.