Start a group chat
Groups are limited to 256 people. You can add people directly, share the chat's link, or use a QR code. If you can't send a message using Allo, you'll see "Invite" next to the contact's name.
Start a new group chat
- On your Android phone, open Allo.
- Tap New Chat Start group chat.
- From the Contacts list, tap the names of the people you want to chat with. You can also search for their names or numbers.
- Tap Next Name the group chat. You can also add a photo or choose an avatar. If you don't want to name the chat or add a photo, tap Done.
- Enter your message and tap Send .
If you can't send a message using Allo, you'll see "Invite" next to the contact's name.
Settings for group chats
Once you've created a group chat, you can change its settings:
- Tap the group chat you want to add someone to.
- In the upper right, tap the profile icon.
- Choose one of the following:
- Add a person directly: Tap Add people Tap the person's name Next.
- Send someone a link: Tap Add people Share invite link Choose an app to send the link. You can edit the invitation message before you send it.
- Add a person using a QR code: Tap Group details Add with QR code. When the QR code shows, tell the other person to scan it by going to Menu QR scanner. Anyone with the QR code can join the group chat.
If you want to mention someone specifically by name, type "@" and tap the name that you want. Then type what you want to say and tap Send .
To protect the privacy of the group, you can reset the group chat’s link to a new one.
- Only people with the new link can join the chat.
- Resetting the group chat's link will also reset its QR code.
- Tap the group chat.
- In the upper right, tap the profile icon Add people Reset link Reset.
When you leave a group, your group chat history will be deleted from your device. But the messages won't be deleted on other people's devices.
- Tap the group conversation you want to leave.
- In the upper right, tap the profile icon Group details Leave and delete chat history.
- Tap Leave to confirm you're leaving the group chat.
You can remove anyone in the group chat at any time. When you remove someone, the messages will be deleted from their device.
- Tap the group conversation from which you want to remove someone.
- In the upper right, tap the profile iconGroup details.
- Tap the person’s name Remove from group.