Send messages or invite people to Google Allo
You can send messages to anyone in your contacts or invite them to chat with you through Google Allo. To send and receive messages on Allo, you only need Wi-Fi or a mobile data connection.
If your contact doesn't have Allo yet
- People who don't have the app can reply to your message through an app preview message or SMS message, depending on their phone and settings.
- Invite your contacts to download Allo: So they can use all of the features.
- When one of your contacts joins Allo: You'll get a notification. If you don't want to get notifications, when you get a notification, tap Unsubscribe.
- To add a contact to Allo: Enter a name or number to begin a chat. If someone doesn’t have your phone number yet, you can share your Allo QR code with them in person. This will start a chat, and the other person can see your phone number.
- On your device, open Allo.
- Go to Menu Profile QR code.
- Have them scan the code by using a QR code reader app. A chat will start between the two of you.
Start a chat
- Open Allo Start a chat .
- From the Contacts list, tap the name of the person who you want to chat with. You can also search for the person's name or number.
- Allo contacts: Contacts who have Allo or can be reached using an app preview message.
- For phone contacts, choose an option:
- Invite: Your default SMS app will open with a pre-loaded invitation message that you can edit if you want.
- Chat or Add via SMS (group chats only): Create a group chat then send your Allo message through a free SMS message using Google. Your contacts can respond to the group chat through the SMS message.
- Type or edit your message, and tap Send .
Note: At this time, the option to chat via free SMS messages is available only in certain countries. You won't be charged for the SMS, but your contact's SMS carrier rates may apply.
Reply with pre-written responses using Smart Replies
When someone sends you a message, you can respond to messages without typing, in your style--through a choice of a few simple, pre-written responses.
- Send pre-written response: Tap the one you want to use.
- Write your own response: Tap the message field and enter your message. The pre-written responses will disappear when you send your message.
Message not sending
If your message isn't sending, check to make sure you have a strong data or Wi-Fi connection. You can also see if messages have been sent or read.