Set up Google Allo
Chat with your family and friends through Google Allo--individually or in group conversations. Allo is available on mobile and on computer. Learn more about using Allo for web on your computer.
What you need to get started
You'll need to first download and install the app:
- Get Allo for Android
- Phone number with SMS service: Then you can receive the verification code to register your phone number with Allo.
- Give permissions: When prompted, give access to your device's contacts and storage so you can send messages and connect with friends.
Note: Allo is linked to your phone number. Learn about re-installing Allo without unregistering your phone number on the previous phone.
Verify your phone number
Google Allo will ask you to confirm your phone number. By verifying your number, you also allow others who have your number to see that you use Allo and message you using the app.
When you verify your number, people with your number can connect with you across Google services. You also allow Allo to periodically send your contacts and location to Google.
- Enter your phone number and make sure it's correct. If the number's already detected, check that it's right.
- Tap Next.
- Allo will send a code in a one-time SMS message to the number that you entered. (Carrier text-message rates may apply.)
- Enter the code that you received in the text message. Or it may get automatically detected and entered.
- If you don't receive a text message, tap Get a new one or see the section below if you have problems verifying your phone number.
- If you have a cell connection and aren't getting the SMS, request a call by tapping Call me.
- If you continue having problems verifying your phone number, you can also see the section below.
- Tap Next.
- Type your name.
- Optional: Choose a profile photo or, if you don't want to add this information, tap Skip. Your name and photo will be visible to anyone who has your phone number in Allo or who you message from the app.
You're now set to start using Allo to chat with friends.
If you're having problems verifying your phone number, try these steps to fix the issue:
- Make sure your phone number was entered correctly with the right country code and phone number.
- Check that your Wi-Fi or mobile data is turned on and airplane mode is turned off. Your network signal icon should have at least 1 bar.
- Make sure your cell signal is on. Test your connection by sending yourself an SMS.
- Quit & restart Allo.
- Uninstall and re-install the app.
- Restart your phone.
If it's still not working, see more detailed tips.
What you can do with Allo
If you get Allo, you can use its smart-messaging features:
- Answer chats quickly: Respond to messages without typing, by tapping a suggested automated response.
Smart Replies, or suggested responses, are available in English, French, Hinglish, Indonesian, and Portuguese.
- Chat with your Google Assistant: Ask the Google Assistant questions, or tell it to do things. The Google Assistant in Allo is available in English, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- Message others in private: Use private notifications to keep your chats more discreet and send messages through end-to-end encryption in Incognito mode. Set messages to disappear after a period of time.
- Adjust your font in messages: "Whisper" to your friend through tiny font, or "SHOUT" to them in big letters.