Out-stream video ad policy
These policies cover all video creatives rendered in out-stream video placements across all platforms, devices, and environments. Out-stream video covers:
- In-article video: video ads between paragraphs of text
- In-feed video: video ads in a list or feed of items
- Interstitial video: full-screen video ads (only allowed in a mobile app between content experiences)
Requirements for running out-stream video ads
- The placement of an out-stream video ad cannot cause the page to reflow its layout before, during, or after the video ad renders. In other words, the ad placement must not shift the content up or down in the user's viewport. The ad placement cannot automatically expand to full screen on scroll over.
- All out-stream video ads except interstitials must scroll along with the other content in the app or page. No sticky implementations of out-stream ads are allowed.
- Interstitial video ads should not scroll and may have a click-to-close user action.
- All out-stream video ads, except interstitials, should begin playing only when at least 50% of the pixels in the player are visible in the viewport and must stop playing when fewer than 50% of the pixels in the player are visible in the viewport, unless the user has interacted with the video ad control buttons (play, pause).
- No more than one video ad (out-stream or not) can be visible or active at once, regardless of viewport size or resolution.
- The original video ad assets must not be cropped or altered, player controls may not be modified, and no page elements should cover or overlap the outstream video player.
- Out-stream video ads must maintain an aspect ratio of 4:3, 16:9, 1:1, 3:4, or 9:16, or as otherwise approved by Google. Out-stream video ads must be at least 256 pixels in their longer dimension.
- For the aspect ratios above, that translates into minimums of 256x192, 256x144, 256x256, 192x256, or 144x256, respectively.
- Out-stream video ads must be clearly identified as an advertisement. Learn more about ad attribution.
- The audio in autoplay out-stream video ads, except interstitials, must be muted by default, unless a user has explicitly opted to enable sound. For interstitials, audio can be enabled or disabled on initial load, depending on the current phone settings (for example, if the interstitial loads when the phone's sound is off, it must load in a muted state).
- Sound on hover behavior is not allowed. Sound must be explicitly enabled through a user action, such as a click or tap on an unmute button.
- Out-stream ads must use the Google-provided out-stream solutions, which are rendered through Google Publisher Tags in web or the Google Mobile Ads SDK in app. Usage of Google Interactive Media Ads SDK is not allowed.
- Out-stream video ads may only be loaded when the user is in a high bandwidth environment, such as wifi.