Select ad types, ad styles and backup ads in Ad Exchange
To further customize the way in which Ad Exchange works with your ads, you have the opportunity to set up ad types, ad styles and backup ads.
For ad types, you should include both text and display ads to have as many buyers as possible eligible to bid on your inventory. Excluding one or the other may impact your revenue. You can select a combination from the following:
- Text ads serve in addition to display ads
- ONLY display ads serve, no text ads.
- ONLY text ads serve, no display ads
With ad styles, you can create the “look and feel” of your ads with customized combinations of colors, fonts, and corner styles and apply them to multiple display ads at one time.
For backup ads, if no targeted ads are available for your page, Google will show a transparent space instead of ads. However, you have the option to display a color, image, HTML page, or ad server if Google isn't able to show targeted ads.
To set up your ad types, ad styles and backup ads,
- Click on the Rules tab.
- From the sidebar, click Ad styles & backup ads.If you're accessing this feature from DFP instead of Ad Exchange, select Inventory Ad Exchange rules Ad styles & backup ads.
- Click the appropriate syndication type sub-tab (for example, Display).
- Create a new rule or edit an existing one.
- Configure the targeting of your inventory.
- For ad types, select whether you want to:
- Serve Display & Text ads. We recommend this default option to maximize your revenue.
- Serve only Display ads.
- Serve only Text ads.
- (AdWords ads only) Select to use the default ad style, a predefined ad style, or create a custom ad style.
- (NOT APPLICABLE to Video, Mobile In-App, or AdX for Games ads) Decide how to handle backup ads. Decide what should happen if Ad Exchange does not return an ad (no targeted ads are available to serve), whether to:
- Show blank space
If you use Ad Exchange in conjunction with DFP Premium or DFP Small Business, we recommend that you set this section to Show blank space. DFP's logic ensures that if Ad Exchange returns a blank ad to DFP, DFP selects another line item to serve.
Note that dynamic allocation does not take backup ads into account.
- Show other ads from another URL
- Fill the space with a solid color
- Show blank space
- Click Save. Once your rule has been saved, use prioritization to manage how these rules are implemented.
Organize rules assigning the most important ones the highest priority (1 being most important). When you set up a rule, that rule overrides any rule with a lower priority if they share the same targeting criteria. If targeting is met, but the criteria are not, the next lower priority rule is applied.