Combine conversion tracking and remarketing
You can simultaneously track conversions of users based on their cookies, and add those cookies to a remarketing list. This is sometimes called piggybacking, because the remarketing list "piggybacks" on the conversion tag. How does the conversion tag work in conjunction with the remarketing tag? It's the same code but has two functions: it tracks conversions coming from Google ads, and it collects cookies associated with visitors to the page.
Once you create the initial conversion tag, you don't have to make any changes to the code or re-implement it. You simply apply it to the remarketing list(s) with which you want to combine conversion tracking.
Combining conversion and remarketing consists of two main steps:Step 1: Create and implementing the conversion tag
- Click the Tools tab, select Conversions.
- Click the + Conversion button.
- Enter a clear Conversion name (e.g., "catalog signup conversion") and select a Source: If users are expected to complete the conversion from a webpage, make that selection; if the conversion is measured as a call made from a mobile device, select Call on-site.
- Click Save and continue.
- In the "Settings" section, make any edits.
- Click Save and continue.
- In the "Who makes changes to the code on your website" section, make the appropriate choice, though keep in mind that in order to perform the next step, you should select I make changes to the code.
- Copy the code from the code box and paste it into applicable web page(s) or server(s). The tag is now enabled for conversion.
For more information on conversions, see the Ad Exchange conversion tracking set up guide.
You can add the conversion tracking tag you created in Step 1 to an existing remarketing list.
- Click the Campaigns main tab.
- In the left-hand panel, click Shared library, then Audiences.
- In the "Audiences" page, click on the underlined name of the audience list to which you want to add the conversion tag.
- On the next page, click the pencil icon in the Summary box.
- Within the list of available tags, find the conversion tag you created in the Step 1, above. Click the add link.
- Click Save. If you selected multiple tags, they are applied in a Boolean OR relationship.
- The membership duration of a conversion tag is 30 days by default, but can be edited. Keep this in mind when combining a conversion tag and a remarketing tag, which could have a longer or shorter membership duration.
- Conversion tags are not marked as such. When creating tags, name them so that you can easily identify them. They differ from remarketing tags only in that they do not have '[Tag]' appended to their name.