|When promoting political content, you need to comply with the following:
Examples of what's allowed in some circumstances
Promotions for the following types of political content are allowed, provided that they meet the requirements below:
Promoting content relating to political organisations, political parties, political issue advocacy or fundraising, and individual candidates and politicians
Additional country-specific requirements:Brazil: Promotion of political candidates or parties is not allowed.
China: Promotion of the following content is not allowed:
Names of state authorities or political personnel Criticism of the Communist Party or Government of PRC Taiwan Independence Tibet Independence Hong Kong Democratic Party Riot at Tiananmen SquareIndonesia: Promotion of political candidates or parties is not allowed.
Japan: Promotion of sites that are part of an election campaign is not allowed.
Korea: Promotion of political candidates, parties, or fundraising is not allowed.
Vietnam: Promotion of political candidates or parties is not allowed.
What you can do
Here's more detail about each violation and what you can do if your ad is disapproved or your site or app is suspended:
- Read the policy above to see the country-specific restrictions for places that your campaign targets. If your ad doesn't meet the requirements for the countries that your campaign targets, you'll need to either change your targeting or remove the restricted content from your ad and site or app.
- Target a different location. If your ad meets the basic policy requirements but not those for the countries that your campaign targets, you can choose to edit your location targeting to run your ads somewhere else where they do meet our requirements. Once you target your campaign only to acceptable locations, please request a review of your disapproved ads, and we'll check if they can start running:
Request a review
Or, if it's important to keep targeting your existing locations, follow the steps below to make your ad and site comply.
- Remove that content from your landing page. If your ad leads to content that we don't allow, remove all content that doesn’t comply with this policy. You'll then need to request a review before moving on to the next step of changing your ad text.
Review my fixed website
Or, you can choose to change your final URL to point to another part of your website or app that doesn't include this type of content.
- Remove that content from your ad. If your ad violates this policy, edit it to make it comply.
Take me to my account
- On your Ads tab, hover over the ad you want to edit.
- Click the pencil icon next to your ad to edit it.
- Click Save when you're done.
If you aren't able to fix these violations or choose not to, please remove your ad to help prevent your account from becoming suspended in the future for having too many disapproved ads.
If you think your ad was incorrectly disapproved, you can request a review through the Disapproved ads and policy questions form.
If you use App Promotion Ads, remember that app meta data such as "App icons," "App name," and "Developer name" must comply with these policies.
Effect of the policy
If your ad meets the requirements above and gets approved, here are details of how it can run:
| See the requirements above to learn where certain kinds of political ads can and cannot run.
|Political ads are considered family safe, so they are eligible to show to all audiences.|
| Can run political ads:
| Google Search: Political ads can show on Google and our Search Network.
Display Network & AdX Seller Network: Political ads can show on these partner sites.
|Acceptable ad formats can vary depending on factors like the platform you're using, the family status of your ad, and whether a publisher or partner has opted to show such ads. Here are some typical examples, though they may vary:
Cannot promote political content:
What happens if you violate our policies
- Ad disapproval: Ads that don't follow this policy may get disapproved. A disapproved ad won't be able to run until the policy violation is fixed and the ad is approved.
- Domain disabling: We may suspend websites that violate this policy, meaning that the website can no longer be advertised until the problem is fixed.
- Account suspension: An account may get suspended if you have several violations or a serious violation. If this happens, all ads in the suspended account will stop running, and we may no longer accept advertising from you. Any related accounts may also get permanently suspended and your new accounts may get automatically suspended at setup. Learn more about suspended accounts.
To ensure a safe and positive experience for users, Google requires that advertisers comply with all applicable laws and regulations in addition to the Google AdWords policies. It's important to familiarize yourself with and keep up to date on these requirements for the places where your business operates, as well as any other places your ads are showing. When we find content that violates these requirements, we may block it from appearing, and in cases of repeated or serious violations, you may no longer be able to advertise with Google.
Need help?If you have questions about this policy, let us know:
Contact AdWords Support