- applicable laws and industry standards for any location that your campaign targets
- any applicable election "silence periods"
- Google's country-specific requirements
Promotions for political content are allowed, provided that they comply with local laws.
Promoting content relating to political organisations, political parties, political issue advocacy or fundraising, and individual candidates and politicians
Local legal requirements
Many countries have specific restrictions for political content, and you're responsible to comply for any ads that target those regions. See the list of country-specific restrictions for more information.
Effect of the policy
If your ad meets the requirements above and gets approved, here are details of how it can run:
| See the requirements above to learn where certain kinds of political ads can and cannot run.
|Political ads are considered family safe, so they are eligible to show to all audiences.|
| Can run political ads:
| Google Search: Political ads can show on Google and our Search Network.
Display Network & AdX Seller Network: Political ads can show on these partner sites.
|Acceptable ad formats can vary depending on factors like the platform you're using, the family status of your ad, and whether a publisher or partner has opted to show such ads. Here are some typical examples, though they may vary:
Cannot promote political content:
What happens if you violate our policies
- Ad disapproval: Ads that don't follow this policy may get disapproved. A disapproved ad won't be able to run until the policy violation is fixed and the ad is approved.
- Domain disabling: We may suspend websites that violate this policy, meaning that the website can no longer be advertised until the problem is fixed.
- Account suspension: An account may get suspended if you have several violations or a serious violation. If this happens, all ads in the suspended account will stop running, and we may no longer accept advertising from you. Any related accounts may also get permanently suspended and your new accounts may get automatically suspended at setup. Learn more about suspended accounts.
To ensure a safe and positive experience for users, Google requires that advertisers comply with all applicable laws and regulations in addition to the Google AdWords policies. It's important to familiarize yourself with and keep up to date on these requirements for the places where your business operates, as well as any other places your ads are showing. When we find content that violates these requirements, we may block it from appearing, and in cases of repeated or serious violations, you may no longer be able to advertise with Google.
Need help?If you have questions about this policy, let us know:
Contact AdWords Support