What's the policy?
Text ads in Google AdWords must meet the following length requirements:
|Example ad||Max Length
|Headline:||Example Website||25 characters||12 characters|
|Description line 1:||Summer sale||35 characters||17 characters|
|Description line 2:||Save 15%||35 characters||17 characters|
|35 characters||17 characters|
* Double-width languages are languages that use double-width characters, like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
- For the display URL, you can actually enter a longer URL, but it'll appear shortened when the ad is displayed.
- The description lines can't lead into the display URL. For example, the second description line can't say, "See this site:" or "Learn more at..."
- The display URL field can't be used as another line of ad text.
- Your ad text can't appear cut off or incomplete.
If you're targeting certain countries in Eastern Europe and Asia, you can make longer text ads by selecting the "I would like to create a longer text ad" option when creating your new text ad. This includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Ukraine, and more. Learn more about longer text ads.
Just Teddy Bears
Great selection of really big
teddy bears, koalas, pandas and mor
|Not allowed||The third line is cut off due to the character limit.|
Candy Creek Lollipops
Free nationwide delivery
Find your flavors at:
|Not allowed||The third line is leading into the display URL.|
Buy shoes now
Get the latest styles
|Allowed||The ad text meets the length requirements.|
What can I do if my ad gets disapproved?
If your ad gets disapproved for violating this policy, try reviewing the following tips to help resolve your issue:
|Disapproval reason||What does it mean?||What do I do now?|
|Ad Text Character Limit||Your ad's intended headline, description lines, or display URL don't meet the requirements mentioned above.||
Edit your ad so that your ad's intended headline, description lines, and display URL meet the requirements mentioned above.
Once you've made any necessary changes, you can then resubmit your ad for review, following the instructions in the section below.
How do I resubmit my ad for review?
If your ad gets disapproved, you can resubmit your ad for review by simply editing your ad and then saving it. To avoid getting disapproved again, make sure you remove any references to the unacceptable content before saving your ad.
Here's how to edit your ad:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
- Go to your Campaigns tab and then click the Ads tab.
- Place your mouse pointer over the table row that lists the ad you want to edit. Click on the pencil icon next to your ad, and you'll be able to edit your ad right there.
- Click Save when you're done editing your ad.
After editing and saving your ad, the Status column will change to reflect its current status – it'll change from "Disapproved" to "Under review" or "Eligible." We work to review all ads in our program as quickly as possible, usually within three business days.
What happens if I violate this policy?
- Ad disapproval: Ads that don't follow this policy may get disapproved. A disapproved ad won't be able to run until the policy violation is fixed and the ad is approved.
- Domain disabling: We may suspend websites that violate this policy, meaning that the website can no longer be advertised with AdWords until the problem is fixed.
- Account suspension: An account may get suspended if you have several violations or a serious violation. If this happens, all ads in the suspended account will stop running, and we may no longer accept advertising from you. Any related accounts may also get permanently suspended and your new accounts may get automatically suspended at setup. Learn more about suspended accounts.
If you still have questions about this policy, you can contact us via the link below. You'll be taken to our "Ad Approvals and Policies" form where you can write to us about your issue.
|Contact AdWords Support|