Using promotional codes (coupons)
- Promotional codes (also known as coupons or vouchers) offer a credit to an advertiser's account.
- There's no way to ask for a promotional code, but Google and our partners will occasionally give out promotional codes as part of specific offers.
- Most offers require you to meet certain criteria before the credit will show up in your account, and they're typically for new advertisers as a helpful way to get started with AdWords Express.
How promotional codes work
From time to time, we might have an introductory offer like "Spend $25, get $50." In order to get the $50 credit, you'll have to apply the promo code within 14 days of creating your account and then get at least $25 worth of clicks in your account after redeeming the code. After spending $25, you'll then see the $50 credit appear in your account within 5 business days.
Where to enter your promotional code
When you set up billing for your AdWords Express account, you'll be able to redeem your promotional code. We’ll be sure to apply it once your account is eligible to receive the credit (per the terms and conditions of your offer).
- Sign in to your AdWords Express account at https://adwords.google.com/express/
- At the top right corner, click the gear icon and select Billing from the dropdown menu.
- If you haven't set up your billing profile, follow the steps below:
- Set up your billing profile and click Continue.
- Enter your payment method.
- Next to "Do you have a promotion code?", click Enter it here.
- Enter your promotional code and click Continue.
- If you've already set up your billing profile, follow the steps below:
- Click Incentive management.
- Under "My promotions," click + Promotional code.
- Enter your promotional code and click Save.
Check your promotional code status
To check your promotional code status, view completed or expired promotions, and see how close you are to earning your credit, visit the promotional code management page in your account. It’s updated every few hours. Here’s how to get there:
- Sign in to your AdWords Express account at https://adwords.google.com/express.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing.
- Click Incentive management.
- On the My promotions tab, you’ll see any active promotions in your account. Click the History tab to see your completed or expired promotions.
How promotional codes work with manual or automatic payment settingsAutomatic payments
If you're using automatic payments, all you need to do is enter the code and start advertising. After your account meets the requirements mentioned in the promotional material, the credit will typically appear in your account within 5 business days. For example, if the offer says you need to spend $25, you'll need to accrue at least $25 worth of clicks before the credit can appear in your account.
Once you use up all of your promotional credit, all your advertising costs will then be charged to the payment method you've entered in your account. As always with AdWords Express, you can stop advertising at any time by pausing your promotion. Paused promotions won't accrue any extra costs.
If you're using manual payments, you'll need to enter the code by its expiration date and then meet any necessary criteria mentioned in the promotional material. For example, if the offer says you need to spend $25, you'll need to make a manual payment of at least $25 and also spend the $25 entirely by accruing enough clicks. After spending the required amount, you will typically see the credit appear in your account within 5 business days.
If you're on manual payments, it's a good idea to make an initial payment that's a little more than the requirement, because AdWords Express will stop serving your ads when you don't have enough credit in your account.
VAT (Value-Added Tax)
If Value Added Tax (VAT) is deducted from AdWords Express payments in your country, be sure to factor VAT into your payment.
Additional info about promotional codes
- Promotional codes are typically limited to one per customer, and are often for new advertisers only.
- Most offers require AdWords accounts to meet certain criteria before credit is applied. Check the terms that came with your promotional code for details about your offer.
- For offers like "Spend $25, get $50," we only count the amount you spend after entering the code. If you spent $25 before entering the code, that amount won't count toward your offer.
- If you’d like to change your payment setting, for instance from manual payments to automatic payments, make sure you use up your credit first. Unused credit can’t be carried over when you switch your payment setting.
- Promotional credit is good for advertising only. If you cancel your account before spending the entire credit, the remaining balance can't be refunded.
Have more questions about AdWords Express?
Contact us via phone or email! We’re here to help.