Manage bid strategies in AdWords Editor
AdWords Editor enables you to add and edit bid strategies for campaigns, ad groups, and keywords.
The following bid strategies are available in AdWords Editor. You can apply these bid strategies to new or existing items in your account:
- Manual CPC bidding: Available at the campaign, ad group, or keyword level.
- Flexible bid strategies: Available at the campaign, ad group, or keyword level within the associated account. (Flexible bid strategies are account-specific.)
- Manual CPM bidding: Available at the campaign level for Display Network only campaigns.
The following bid strategies aren't available to add in AdWords Editor. You can view and edit campaigns with these bid strategies, but it isn't possible to add these strategies to new or existing campaigns, ad groups, or keywords. If you copy and paste a campaign with one of these strategies, manual CPC bidding replaces the original bid strategy in the new campaign:
- Automatic CPC bidding (Budget Optimizer)
- CPA bidding (Conversion Optimizer)
- % CPA bidding
- Bid strategies for campaigns with experiments
View and edit bid strategies
To view the existing bid strategies in an account, refer to two columns on the Campaigns, Ad groups, and Keywords tabs: Bid strategy type and Bid strategy.
To edit the bid strategies for one or more items in an account, follow these steps:
- Select the Campaigns, Ad groups, or Keywords tab.
- Select one or more campaigns, ad groups, or keywords in the data view.
- In the edit panel, click Edit next to "Bid strategy."
- In the bid strategy picker, select the bid strategy that you want to apply.
- Click OK.
Import bid strategies in bulk
To update multiple bid strategies using CSV import or the Add/update multiple tools for campaigns, ad groups, or keywords, include the Bid strategy type and Bid strategy columns in your list of items to add or update.
The following example shows an ad group import with bid strategy information. The first row is the column header row. The next two rows include an account-specific flexible bid strategy and manual CPC bidding, respectively.
Campaign, Ad Group, Max CPC, Bid strategy type, Bid strategy
Campaign #1, example ad group 1, 0.35, , My Bid Strategy
Campaign #1, example ad group 2, 0.50, Manual CPC
Here are a few notes about including bid strategies in imports:
- To apply flexible bid strategies, use the Bid strategy column. When this column has a value in it, AdWords Editor ignores the Bid strategy type column.
- To apply manual CPC and manual CPM bid strategies, use the Bid strategy type column. For manual CPC, enter "Manual CPC" or "CPC." For manual CPM (available at the campaign level for Display Network only campaigns), enter "Manual CPM" or "CPM."
- Flexible bid strategies in the Bid strategy column are case sensitive. For example, if your AdWords shared library includes a bid strategy called "My Bid Strategy," AdWords Editor doesn't recognize "my bid strategy" as the same strategy.
- To clear bid strategies at the ad group or keyword level, enter empty brackets
in one or both of the bid strategy columns.