About ad suggestions (beta)
Ad suggestions are variations of your existing text ads that may boost performance of your Search Network campaigns.
Research has shown that ad groups with 3 or more high-quality ads can get up to 5% to 15% more clicks or conversions than ad groups with only 1 ad, provided ad rotation has been optimized. The more ads you provide, the more options you’ll have to show the ideal message for each user search.
Ad suggestions initially surface in your account on the Opportunities page for you to review, and you can choose to apply or dismiss them. Note: Ad suggestions marked as “auto-apply” will start serving after 14 days if no action is taken. Any ad suggestions that became auto-applied will appear on the Ads & extensions page with the tag “Auto-applied ad suggestion.”
- Save time in creating variations of your existing ads.
- Free optimization of ad copy.
How ad suggestions work
Ad suggestions are a beta program open to select advertisers. Depending on your settings, ad suggestions will automatically apply 14 days after they're created, or you must manually apply them.
Ad suggestions that auto-apply will be clearly marked, and Google will also notify you in various ways that these ads have been created. You also have complete control over whether to apply, dismiss, pause, or edit them.
When new ad suggestions are set to auto apply, you’ll be notified in the following ways:
- An email will contain a link to review ad suggestions. Set your email alerts
- In your AdWords account, an alert will appear near the Notification icon that ad suggestions will soon auto apply.
- When you click on the Notification icon, it will state the day when ad suggestions are set to auto apply. The notification will invite you to review the ad suggestions.
- The Opportunities page indicates when ad suggestions will auto apply, and invites you to apply or dismiss them.
- Any ad suggestion that becomes auto-applied after 14 days will be labeled as an “Auto-applied ad suggestion” on the Ads & extensions page.
Note: For manager accounts, ad suggestions alerts may be combined if multiple accounts receive ad suggestions simultaneously.
- From the Opportunities page, you can apply or dismiss ad suggestions, either individually or as a group.
- Once ad suggestions are applied, you can edit, remove, or pause them — just like regular ads.
- You can control ad suggestion settings through your account settings.
Note: If you dismiss ad suggestions, you may still receive future ad suggestions.
How ad suggestions are produced
To help improve performance, a combination of human review and machine learning is used to create high-quality ad suggestions. Relevant content from your account used to create ad suggestions include your existing ads, extensions, and landing page. Google also uses additional signals such as keywords and targeting in order to optimize the ad copy.
How can I keep track of ad suggestions over time?
Which campaigns / ad groups will be eligible for ad suggestions?
Can I edit ad suggestions?
If the ad suggestion has been auto-applied, it will receive a tag “Auto-applied ad suggestion.”’ Any edit to an ad suggestion will remove this tag, and the ad will no longer appear in the “Auto-applied ad suggestion” column on the ads table.