About Search Network campaigns with Display Expansion
In the new AdWords experience, a Search Network campaign with Display Expansion can help you reach people as they use Google search and visit sites across the web. This article explains the basics of how this campaign type works, how it compares to the Search Network campaign type which has similar features, and how to create a Search Network campaign that expands into the Display Network.
How it works
You manage your Search Network campaign with Display Expansion the same way that you'd manage a Search Network campaign: set a budget, choose relevant keywords, create ads, and set bids.
Your ads can appear when people search for terms on Google search and search partner sites that match your keywords, and they can also appear on relevant pages across the web on the Google Display Network. However, your ads are shown selectively on the Display Network and bidding is automated, helping you reach people who are most likely to be interested in the products and services you’re advertising.
In general, your ads will show primarily on the Search Network, and can show on the Display Network if it appears you’ll have remaining daily budget.
Find the right audience
A Search Network campaign with Display Expansion increases your reach with no additional setup, and can help you find the right audience at the right place and the right time.
- Grow your potential audience: By adding the Display Network, your ads can appear on the Google Display Network, a collection of more than two million websites, videos, and apps.
- Reach potential customers earlier in the buying cycle: With the Display Expansion, your ads can reach people who browse or research similar products on various websites.
- Be strategic with little extra work: Since the Display Expansion is fully automated, your ads will be optimized to target across the Display Network with no additional setup.
Use responsive ads to reach more people
To expand your reach even further and help improve your performance, create a responsive ad for your Search Network campaign with Display Expansion. Responsive ads are a convenient, all-in-one format that serve across the entire Display Network. Using the assets that you enter—including headlines, images, and your landing page—responsive ads then automatically adjust their size, appearance, and format to fit just about any available ad space. By creating one ad that fits almost any ad space on Display, a responsive ad can increase your reach and impact while also saving you time. Learn more about responsive ads.
Keep in mind
If you’ve been running Search Network campaigns and then expand to Display, you may notice an increase in conversions (15% on average) and thus, an increase in daily spend (also 15% on average). On average, your cost-per-conversion on the Display Network should be similar to that on the Search Network.
Create a Search Network campaign with Display Expansion
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- In the page menu along the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select New campaign.
- Select the Search Network campaign type.
- Select a goal for your campaign. Or, create your campaign without a goal.
- Click Continue.
- In the "Networks" section, select the "Display Network" option.
- Select your remaining campaign settings. Learn about each setting.
- Click Save and continue.
Upgrade a Search Network campaign
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- In the page menu along the left, click Settings.
- Select the Search campaign you’d like to upgrade.
- Click to expand the "Networks" section.
- Select the "Display Network" option.
- Click Save.