Use call extensions
To show your phone number with your ads, create call extensions. When your call extensions show, people can tap or click a button to call your business directly. Or they can tap or click your ad to go to your website. All in all, call extensions give you more chances to get and track valuable conversions.
Click the "Guide me" button below to go to your account and be guided through each step.
Before you begin
This is an instructional article about call extensions. Before you get started, you may want to read About call extensions. If you’re adding many call extensions, you may choose to follow the instructions in Add and edit call extensions in bulk.
For the best mix of local targeting and broader reach, it’s a good idea to enable both location extensions and call extensions on your ads. Use call extensions by themselves if you have a national service center, or if you don’t have a brick-and-mortar storefront. Location extensions can show a “Call” button as well as a “Get directions” link. When you enable location extensions and call extensions for the same ad, AdWords uses your address from your location extension and your phone number from your call extension. Learn more about location extensions.
How to create call extensions
Find the call extensions window
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Select the campaign or ad group for which you'd like to add call extensions.
- Go to the Ad extensions tab. If you can't see this tab, find out how to enable the tab.
- In the upper corner, choose Call extensions from the View menu.
Enter your phone number
- Click +Extension.
- Select your number from the list, or add a new one by clicking +New phone number. The following steps walk you through how to add this new number.
- Choose the country where your business phone number is based and enter your number in the box next to the country menu.
- If you're in an eligible country, you can choose to opt in to call reporting in your account. Simply check “Turn on call reporting.” Call reporting gives you a lot more data about call conversions. Learn more
Choose optional settings and save
- To have this call extension preferred over your other call extensions on mobile devices check "Mobile" next to "Device preference."
- If you'd like to limit when the phone number will be eligible to appear in your ad (like during your opening hours), click Start/end dates, scheduling and choose your hours.
- Click Save.
You can repeat the steps above to add up to 20 call extensions to each campaign or ad group.
How to view the performance of your call extensions
After you add phone numbers to your ad, you’ll want to see how they’re working for your business. Here’s how:
- From the Campaigns or Ad groups tab, click the Segment button above the statistics table.
- Select Click type to see which clicks resulted in visits to your website or phone calls.
- Look at the "Mobile clicks-to-call" row to see how many clicks you received on the phone number in your ads.
Keep in mind that clicks-to-call are recorded when someone initiates dialing from their mobile device, not when the ad is clicked. These clicks are counted whether or not the call is completed. If you're using call reporting, you can see more statistics, like call length and call conversions.