Add negative keywords to Display Network only campaigns
This article only applies to the previous AdWords experience. Determine which AdWords experience you’re using.
By adding negative keywords to your Display Network campaigns, you can avoid targeting sites that contain those terms.
This article shows you how to add negative keywords to your Display Network only campaigns.
Before you begin
If you’re new to negative keywords, learn more about negative keywords.
Keep in mind
Negative keywords aren't as precise on the Display Network as they are on the Search Network. Your ad may still occasionally appear on pages containing these terms. For Display ads, a maximum of 5,000 negative keywords is considered. Site category options and content exclusions are the best ways to avoid targeting unrelated sites or videos.
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Go to your Display Network tab
- Click + Targeting.
- You’ll see "Ad group targeting and exclusions" and "Campaign exclusions." Choose the ad group or campaign you want to add negative keywords to.
- Click either the “Add ad group exclusions” or “Add campaign exclusions” drop-down and select “Display keywords.”
- Add your keywords, one per line. Make sure that your excluded keywords don't overlap with your regular keywords, because this will cause your ad not to show.
- Click Save.
Try excluding sites or categories to limit the visibility of your Display ads.