Get negative keyword ideas for search
Beyond the negative keywords that you come up with, you can use the search terms report to get more ideas on terms to add as negative keywords. The report shows actual terms that people searched for which both triggered your ad and led to a click. As you browse the report, you may spot some search terms that are related to, but aren't exactly, what you sell.
This article shows you how to get negative keyword ideas to target customers interested in your brand more effectively.
This article shows you how to use the search terms report for negative keyword ideas that help you better target customers interested in your product or service.
Before you start
If you’re new to negative keywords, find out more about negative keywords.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Keywords tab.
- Select the tick boxes next to the keywords that you'd like to run a search terms report for, then click on the Search terms button above the table.
- You'll be taken to the Search terms tab, which shows the details for your selected keywords. To see details for all of the keywords in your report, click on the "Show all" link.
- Select the tick boxes next to the keywords that you'd like to add as negative keywords, then click on the Add as negative keyword button.
Make sure that your negative keywords don't overlap with your regular keywords, because this will cause your ad not to be displayed.
- You can choose to add the negative keywords at ad group level or at campaign level.
- Click Save.