Get negative keyword ideas using the search terms report
As well as the negative keywords that you come up with, the search terms report can help you to get more ideas for terms to add as negative keywords. The report shows actual terms that people searched for which both triggered your ad and led to a click. As you browse the report, you may spot some search terms that are related to, but aren't exactly, what you sell.
This article shows you how to use the search terms report for negative keyword ideas that help you better target customers interested in your product or service.
By default, negative keywords added to a Search campaign from the search terms report are added as exact match. To change the match type, use the appropriate symbols.
Before you begin
If you’re new to negative keywords, learn more About negative keywords.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Keywords tab.
- Select the tick boxes next to the keywords that you'd like to run a search terms report for, then click the Search terms button above the table.
- You'll be taken to the Search terms page, which shows the details for your selected keywords. To see details for all of the keywords in your report, click on the 'Show all' link.
- Select the tick boxes next to the keywords that you'd like to add as negative keywords, then click the Add as negative keyword button. By default, negative keywords added to a Search campaign from the search terms report are added as exact match. To change the match type, use the appropriate symbols.
Bear in mind
Make sure that your negative keywords don't overlap with your regular keywords, because this will cause your ad not to show.
- Add the negative keywords at the ad group level, or at the campaign level.
- Add the negative keywords to an existing negative keyword list, or create a new list.
- Click Save.