Create a responsive ad for Display
For an easier way to show your ads across the Display Network, create responsive ads. Responsive ads automatically adjust their size, appearance, and format to fit available ad spaces. With text and images you enter, AdWords automatically generates your ad as ad spaces become available. Responsive ads can show as almost any size text, image, or native format.
This article describes how to create your responsive ad. For an overview, see About responsive ads.
Before you begin
If you create dynamic responsive ads by associating a feed with your responsive ad (and its campaign), keep the following points in mind:
- If you include a formatted price in your feed, then it will be used instead of the price prefix you add in AdWords when creating up your ad.
- Because responsive ads show as more sizes than your dynamic feed images can fit to, your ads may not always use images from your feed.
- Products shown in preview are for illustrative purposes only. Please ensure that your feeds are compliant with our Personalized Advertising Policy.
- Google may show layout tags for retail advertisers, such as "new", "hot", or "price drop", on relevant products in order to drive performance. These layout tags appear automatically based on product insights from the feed. Learn more here.
Learn more about using feeds for dynamic remarketing.
Choose the AdWords experience you're using. Learn more
Click the Begin guide button below to go to your account and be guided through creating a responsive ad.
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating a responsive ad:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click + Ad.
- Select Responsive ad.
- Select an ad group.
- Add and save your visuals. To give you access to all our ad formats, responsive ads need visuals. You can crop 1 image to landscape and square formats, or use 2 different images. Upload your visuals, scan them from your website, or select from our free library of stock images. You can also select from recently used images.
- Landscape. If you choose the upload option, keep in mind that your landscape image should have a ratio of 1.91:1 and be greater than 600 x 314. The recommended size is 1200 x 628. The file size limit is 1MB.
- Square. If you choose the upload option, keep in mind that your square (1:1) image should be greater than 300 x 300. The recommended size is 1200 x 1200. The file size limit is 1MB.
- Logo (optional). If you choose the upload option, keep in mind that your logo should be square (1:1) and should be 128 x 128 or greater. The recommended size for the square logo is 1200 x 1200. You can also add a landscape (4:1) logo, which should be 512 x 128 or greater. The recommended size for the landscape logo is 1200 x 300. For all your logos, a transparent background is best, but only if the logo is centered. The file size limit is 1MB.
- Avoid text. Text may cover no more than 20% of the image. Note: To fit in some ad spaces, your image may be cropped horizontally—up to 5% on each side.
- Complete your ad information:
- Write a short headline (25 characters or fewer). The short headline is the first line of your ad, and appears in tight ad spaces where the long headline doesn't fit. Short headlines may appear with or without your description.
- Write a long headline (90 characters or fewer). The long headline is the first line of your ad, and appears instead of your short headline in larger ads. Long headlines may appear with or without your description. Note: When rendered in an ad, the long headline's length will depend on the site it appears on. If shortened, the long headline will end with ellipses.
- Write a description. The description adds to the headline and invites people to take action. It can be up to 90 characters, and may appear after the (short or long) headline. Note: The length of the rendered description will depend on the the site it appears on. If shortened, the description will end with ellipses.
- Enter your business name. This is the name of your business or brand.
- Enter a final URL (where people will go when they click on your ad).
- Optional: Go to advanced URL options to add tracking or custom parameters to your URL.
- Optional for dynamic responsive ads: promotion text (ex. “Free shipping for orders over $25”) and price prefix.
- Preview a small fraction of your potential ads. Since responsive ads are built to reach across almost any ad space on the Display Network, they can show in thousands of layouts.
- Click Save.
- Wait at least a week after your ad is approved before you review its performance. Before that, your data is still incomplete.
Not all assets will appear when your ads show. Sometimes, for example, your ads may show without images to increase your reach across the Display Network.