Keyword matching options
Settings for each keyword that help control how closely the keyword needs to match a person's search term in order to trigger your ad.
- Each keyword uses a matching option to help control which searches should trigger your ad to show. You can choose one or more matching options for a keyword. If you don't specify a particular matching option, keywords are considered as broad match.
- Here's a summary of the options:
Broad match allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations.
• Example: kittens
• Searches that can match: kittens, kitten photos, adopt a kitten
Broad match modifier allows your ad to show for searches that include your broad match keyword or close variations of your broad match keyword.
• Example: +adopt +kitten
• Searches that can match: adopt kitten, how to adopt a kitten, best kitten to adopt
Phrase match allows your ad to show only for searches that include the exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, with additional words before or after.
• Example: "adopt a kitten"
• Searches that can match: adopt a kitten, adopt a kiten, how to adopt a kitten
Exact match allows your ad to show only for searches that use that exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, and no other words.
• Example: [adopt a kitten]
• Search that can match: adopt a kitten, adopt a kiten
Negative match ensures that your ad doesn't show for any search that includes that term.
• Example: -free
• Searches that won't match: free kitten adoption, free kitten calendars, who wants to free the kittens