Create a TrueView for app installs campaign
Starting October 16, 2017, you'll no longer be able to create new app install campaigns using the Search, Display, or Video campaign types. Universal App will become the only campaign type available for promoting installs of your app.
Starting November 15, 2017, your ads will no longer be served for any app install campaign that isn’t Universal App. You'll be able to access historical performance data in your AdWords reports. To ensure your app ads continue to serve, upgrade your app install campaigns to Universal App campaigns before November 15, 2017.
To show TrueView video ads for your app on YouTube and across video partner sites and apps, create a TrueView for mobile app installs campaign.
Before you begin
To understand how TrueView for app installs campaigns work, read about these campaigns.
In AdWords, TrueView for app installs campaigns are created by selecting the “Mobile app installs” subtype when building a new video campaign.
Create your TrueView for app installs campaign
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
- In the "Campaigns" tab, click +Campaign and select Video.
- Enter a campaign name. You might use a name that tells you this is an app installs campaign.
- Select Mobile app installs.
- Next to "Your mobile app", enter the URL of your app from the Apple App Store or Google Play store. This will allow people to install the app directly from your video ad.
- The app name, icon, price, and ratings are shown next to the video ad and are visible in the ad preview.
- Keep in mind: The iOS and Android versions of your app require different campaigns.
- Under “Bidding,” select your bidding strategy, either Target CPA or Maximum CPV.
- Enter a daily budget.
- Choose your target locations and languages. Your ads will show on the YouTube video network.
- Under "Devices", consider targeting particular operating systems, device models, and carriers. AdWords will automatically show your ads on devices and operating systems that are compatible with your app.
Create your new ad group
- Add a name for your new ad group. You might include the name of your video ad.
- Enter the YouTube URL for your video ad. You can link this YouTube channel to your account later, if you haven't done so yet.
- Choose either In-stream ad or Video discovery ad for your video ad format.
- Enter a name for your ad and fill out any fields.
- Depending on the bid strategy you chose in step 6 above, enter your bid. For Target CPA, this should match the value you associate with someone installing your app.
Add video ad targeting
- To refine the context and audience for your ad, there are several ways to reach particular audiences, such as demographics, interests, or topics.
- Learn more about targeting your video ads.
- Click Save ad group.
- On the next page, click Finish.
- If you're advertising an Android app, you're already set up to count installs as conversions. For iOS apps, you'll need to set up conversion tracking for iOS mobile apps.
- To have access to all of your channel's videos from your AdWords account, click Link channel.
- If you own the YouTube channel, you'll be able to confirm this link from YouTube.
- If someone else owns the channel, they'll have to approve the link to your AdWords account.
- You'll be able to see these links in you "Linked accounts" page, under the gear icon at the top of your account. Read more about linking your YouTube channel.