About mobile app install campaigns
- Mobile app install campaigns are geared specifically toward getting more people to download your app.
- AdWords can help customize targeting, keywords, and ads based on your app ID and other information.
- You can easily gauge your campaign's performance by tracking installs as conversions.
Promote your app with campaigns to drive downloads
Mobile app install campaigns can help you create custom app install ads that run exclusively on phones and tablets. AdWords helps create your app install ads based on your app icon and reviews, and these ads take people straight to the app store to download your app.
Based on the mobile operating system for the app you choose, AdWords can find your most likely customers and focus on showing ads to people who don't have your app yet. Connecting your AdWords account to your Google Play Developer account makes this even easier: you can sync user lists and targeting, and track installs seamlessly. Learn more about Linking Google Play and AdWords.
When more people download your app, you could improve your app store ranking, which in turn can result in even more people downloading your app.
Differences between campaign types
Universal App campaign
- Why use it: Simplify your app install campaign management. Promote your Android app across multiple networks within a single campaign.
- Bid strategy: Target CPA
- Where ads can show: Google Play, Google Search Network, YouTube and Google Display Network
- Ad formats: Provide lines of text, then AdWords does the rest to generate your ads and drive app installs.
All other app promotion campaigns
- Why use it: Control your entire campaign. Promote your app on a single network (Search, Display or YouTube) to drive app installs.
- Bid strategies: CPC, CPV(YouTube only), Target CPA
- Where ads can show: Display Network, Search Network (including Google Play Search for Android apps), or YouTube
- Ad formats: App install ads, Image app install ads, Video app install ads, TrueView app promotion ads (YouTube)
- Learn more about:
Keep in mind
It takes a little while for AdWords to find the best targeting to meet your Target CPA.
If you’re interested in encouraging people to re-open your app, you can create a mobile app engagement campaign. For app engagement ads, you can track actions within your app, such as product purchases or levels reached, as well as conversions. Learn more about mobile app engagement campaigns.
Read the Google Best Practices guide to learn how to get as many of the right people to discover and download your app. Topics include:
- Estimate the value of an app download
- Create compelling ads and app store page
- Promote your app to potential users across Google