Create a TrueView for shopping campaign
TrueView for shopping campaigns make video ads interactive by connecting viewers directly to your products and providing information that brings customers closer to making a purchase.
These ads use your existing Merchant Center product data to generate shopping cards, and up to six shopping cards may appear on a video ad at a time. You can filter your inventory or select specific products to tailor the products that can show with your video ads.
In this article, we'll walk you through how to set up a TrueView for shopping campaign in AdWords.
Before you start
Before you set up a TrueView for shopping campaign, first link your AdWords account to your Google Merchant Center account. You should also be familiar with TrueView in-stream ads.
TrueView for shopping can run on in-stream ads in countries where Google Merchant Center is available.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating TrueView for shopping campaigns:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns tab, click +Campaign, and then select Video.
- Enter a campaign name and change your campaign sub-type to "Shopping".
- Next to "Merchant identifier", choose the Merchant ID for the products that you want to use in this campaign.
- If you want the shopping cards to use all products in the linked Merchant Center account, leave the "Product Filter" setting to the default option, "None – use all products".
If you want to choose a subset of products to advertise in your campaign, you have two options:
- Set your budget. Choose networks, locations that you want to target, and the language of your customers.
- Click Save and continue.
- Enter an Ad group name and follow the steps to create an ad group in creating a TrueView video campaign. Note: 'In-stream ad' will automatically be selected for the ad format.
After you create your campaign, you can make changes to your product filter later on from your campaign settings. Select the campaign, click on the Settings tab, and then click Edit next to “Product filter”.
If you have specific products in mind from your Merchant Center account that you’d like to use in your campaign, select the Choose specific products option. You can then search for products by title, by item ID or by the URL of the item in your online store that was uploaded to Merchant Center.
You can even select items that are out of stock, however they won’t show until they’re back in stock – so there’s no need to adjust your campaign as products go in and out of stock.
What each status means
When using the 'Choose specific products' option, you can view more information about the products in your search results by clicking 'Details'. You’ll see details for your items, which are versions of the product in each country where it’s available. The “status” column shows if an item is ready to serve for each country.
Note: You may see a yellow icon next to the word “Details” for some products. This icon appears when a product is “Not approved” or “Out of stock” in any country in which it’s available. If your campaign targets a specific country, it can run as long as there’s at least one item that’s “Ready to serve” in that country.
Here are the statuses that can appear:
- Ready to serve: The item is approved and eligible to run on shopping cards on your video ad.
- Not approved: The item is disapproved in your Merchant Center account. You can check the status in Merchant Center to understand why the item is disapproved. Automated systems identify items that violate our policies and the Products Feed Specification. If you use the item in your campaign anyway, we’ll request an additional manual review, which takes one to three working days. Note that an item can only be manually reviewed once.
- Out of stock: The item is out of stock. You provide an item’s availability using the “availability” attribute in your product data. If the availability is set to “out of stock” for a country, then the item won't serve in that country. You can still select it for your campaign, and it will start appearing when it becomes available again.
To advertise a subset of products based on attributes from your Merchant Center account, such as brand or product type, select Create custom filters. In the drop-down menus under “Matches all of the following”, select attributes and enter corresponding values that match your product data.
Bear in mind:
- The text that you enter in the attribute field should match the text exactly as it appears in your product data.
- Use the +AND button to add up to seven attributes to a custom filter.
- Use the +OR button to create another custom filter.
- You can only use one product type, brand or AdWords grouping per custom filter. You can use multiple AdWords labels per custom filter. If you’d like to include multiple product types or brands for example, then use the +OR button to add another custom filter.
- You can only add one value per field. You can’t enter more than one value separated by commas.