Understand Display Planner estimates and statistics
Display Planner provides impression estimates and historical costs to help you plan your Display Network campaigns. Estimates can give you an idea of how targeting ideas could perform and historical costs can guide you to the ideas that are within your budget.
You’ll also be able to view the audience profile of these ideas: whether your reach is large or small; whether ideas are geared mostly toward males or females; how your ideas are spread out across age groups and devices.
Types of estimates and statistics
Display Planner shows you different types of estimates and statistics.
- Impressions / week or Impressions / month: how many times ads could show for a targeting idea (or set of ideas) based on a recent week-long or month-long period.
- Cookies / week or Cookies / month: a count of the cookies associated with your plan’s targeting ideas based on a recent week-long or month-long period. With cookies you’re not targeting specific individuals, but a small file saved on someone’s computer or mobile device that helps store preferences and other information that’s used on web pages that they visit.
- Age: age groups, by percentage, associated with your plan’s targeting ideas.
- Gender: the percentage of males or females associated with your plan's targeting ideas.
- Device: types of devices (desktop computers, mobile phones, tablets), by percentage, associated with your plan’s targeting ideas.
- Hist. CPC: a range of the cost-per-clicks that won the auction for a targeting idea, taken from the recent past. You’ll see historical CPCs when you’re planning a direct response campaign.
- Hist. CPM: a range of the cost-per-thousand impressions that won the auction for a targeting idea, taken from the recent past. You’ll see historical CPMs when you’re planning a brand campaign.
Keep in mind
Display Planner's estimates and statistics are based on the Google Display Network's available network inventory. With other advertisers bidding on this inventory, you won't be able to get the full estimated impressions – even with an unlimited budget, competitive bids, and ad creatives in every possible ad format. Rather than using Display Planner's estimates and statistics to project how your Display Network campaign will perform, think of them instead as a guide to help you plan your campaign.
Ways to view estimates and statistics
- Look at the big picture. Look at your "Available network inventory" to see reach and impression estimates for all ideas that Display Planner has generated.
- Get specific. Find specific targeting ideas and ad group ideas in the Individual targeting ideas and Ad group ideas tabs to see what you want and what’s feasible for your goals and budget.
- Come up with a plan. Keep an eye on how your plan is shaping up as you sort through all the ideas and begin to add some under "Your plan." The "Available network inventory" located under "Your plan" adjusts to show estimates of just the ideas you’ve included in your plan.