Improve your campaign
Step 3: Review budget
Your average daily budget is how much you want to spend each day on a particular AdWords campaign. If you have more than one campaign, you’ll set a daily budget for each one. Each day, AdWords will show your ads as much as possible until your daily budget is met. Once it is, your ads will stop showing for the day.
How to choose a daily budget
When you set your daily budgets, here’s what you’ll want to keep in mind:
- If you think in terms of a monthly budget, you can figure out your daily budget by taking the monthly amount and dividing it by 30.4 (the average number of days in a month).
- Start with a number that you’re comfortable with. Then let your campaign run for two to four weeks before deciding if you need to adjust your budget.
How AdWords works with your budget
Internet traffic is like an ocean. Some days, there will be small waves. Some days, there will be big waves. If your ads don’t show up much because of low traffic, then AdWords makes up for that by showing them more when traffic’s higher.
This means your costs might go up and down — a little above or a little below your average daily budget — from day to day. But don’t worry: you’ll never be charged more than a month’s worth of your daily budget.
Your budget is £200 a month. To work out your daily budget for AdWords, you divided £200 by the average number of days in a month: 30.4. So, your daily budget is £6.57 a day. Throughout the month, you see that some days your ads cost £7. On other days, they cost £2. But for the month, your total charge won’t go above £200.
So how much can the costs fluctuate from day to day? No more than 20% of your daily budget.
Using a budget
If you consistently meet your daily budget, you might want to increase it so your ads can show more often.
If you don’t consistently meet your daily budget, you can create more ads and experiment with your keywords. This can help you get more clicks for your ads.
- It's worth taking about 5 minutes each month and update your budget, depending on how your campaign is going.
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.co.uk
- Click the Campaigns tab.
- In the left hand column, select the campaign for which you’d like to edit the budget.
- Select the Settings tab and scroll down to the “Bidding and budget” section.
- Click Edit besides "Budget".
- Enter your daily campaign budget.
- Click Save.