About remarketing to YouTube viewers
You can show personalized ads to millions of viewers across YouTube and video partner sites, based on their past interactions with your videos or YouTube channel. This is known as “video remarketing.” By reinforcing your message with people who have already seen your videos or channel, you’re more likely to succeed in increasing your return on investment.
- Improved ROI: Advertisers who use remarketing on YouTube have improved their return on investment (ROI) by showing video ads to people interested in their product or service.
- Broader scope: With YouTube's vast network, your video ad can reach potential customers on your remarketing list.
- Efficient pricing: The AdWords auction model offers competitive rates that meet your target ROI. With CPV bidding, you'll pay for video views and other video interactions, such as clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, and companion banners.
- Flexibility: Website remarketing (also known as "remessaging" or "retargeting") is based on visitors' actions on a website. You can remarket based on actions specific to your YouTube videos, including when viewers like, dislike, comment on, and share your video.
How it works
Remarketing lists are created by first linking your YouTube account to your AdWords account. Once you link accounts, you can create remarketing lists that reach people who have done the following YouTube-related actions:
- Viewed any video from a channel
- Visited a channel page
- Viewed any video (as an ad) from a channel
- Liked any video from a channel
- Commented on any video from a channel
- Shared any video from a channel
- Subscribed to a channel
- Viewed certain video(s)
- Viewed certain video(s) as ad(s)
You can then use these lists in your targeting settings for new or existing campaigns. Manage your lists anytime in the "Audiences" section of the Shared library.
Note: Remarketing lists cannot be created from views of bumper ads.
For "Initial list size", you can either pull list members from the last 30 days of activity on your channel, or start fresh.
- If you have multiple YouTube channels, you can link more than one YouTube channel to your AdWords account. While you can create several lists per channel, you can't use the same list on multiple channels.
Make the most of your video remarketing lists by exploring these features:
- Refined targeting: Remarket to your potential customers by using specific categories, such as topics, interests, keywords, demographics, etc.
- Various ad formats: Build and target your remarketing campaign with video ads and other creative formats (text, image, and rich media ads on the Google Display Network).
- Detailed reports: Optimize your remarketing campaign based on performance metrics. For example, raise bids on specific topics or channels that generate the greatest ad response.
- Ease of use: Easily create, manage, and target your remarketing lists.
- Custom audiences: Customize your targeting by combining your remarketing lists. For example, you can reach audiences who viewed your movie trailer but haven’t yet viewed your ad promoting the DVD release.