About Shopping campaigns and Shopping ads
If you're a retailer, you can use Shopping campaigns to promote your online and local inventory, boost traffic to your website or local shop and find better qualified leads. To get started, you'll send us your product data with Merchant Centre and create a campaign in AdWords. Then we'll use your campaign to create ads on Google and around the web where potential customers can see what you're selling. We call these placements Shopping ads, because they're more than a text ad – they show users a photo of your product, plus a title, price, shop name and more. These ads give users a strong sense of the product that you're selling before they click the ad, which gives you more qualified leads.
- More traffic: Many businesses experience significantly higher clickthrough rates (CTR) with Shopping ads compared to text ads shown in the same location for shopping-related searches. In some cases, advertisers have experienced double or triple standard click-through rates.
- Better qualified leads: As a merchant, you can increase the quality of your leads by featuring product information directly in your ads to help shoppers make informed purchase decisions. This makes shoppers more likely to complete a purchase on your website. For example, when Sally does a Google search for "fish bowl," she might see Shopping ads from merchants selling fish bowls. She can tell which fish bowl suits her taste just by looking at the picture. She can also quickly see whether the fish bowl fits her budget by looking at the price. This means that by the time Sally has clicked the ad, she has a good sense of the product and its cost, which puts her further down the purchasing funnel compared to the average web user.
- Easy retail-centric campaign management: Instead of keywords, Shopping ads use the product attributes you defined in your Merchant Centre data feed to show your ads on relevant searches. Browse your product inventory directly in AdWords and create product groups for the items that you want to bid on.
- Broader presence: More than one of your Shopping ads can appear for a given user search and, if relevant, a Shopping ad and a text ad can also appear at the same time. This means that your reach with shoppers for a single search could double.
- Powerful reporting and competitive data: See how your products are performing at any level of granularity you want. For example, you can see how many clicks a particular brand of high-heeled shoes got just by filtering your products view – no new product groups needed. Use benchmarking data to get insights into your competitive landscape. Identify growth opportunities with impression share data and the Bid Simulator tool.
How Shopping campaigns and Shopping ads work
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more.
Where your ads appear
Here's where you might see your Shopping ads across the web:
- Google Shopping (in select countries)
- Google Search, next to search results and separate from text ads
- Google Search Partner websites, including YouTube and Image Search in some countries (if your campaign is set to include search partners)
Your Shopping ads can appear at the same time as text ads, because we want to give shoppers access to the full variety of products that match their search. This means that shoppers can find the best match before clicking through to make a purchase, which might help you close the sale.
If you sell ballet slippers and have a text ad for ballet equipment and a Shopping ad for ballet shoes, a customer could see both of your ads on the same Google Search results page.
Availability by country
Shopping ads can appear on Google Shopping, Google Search and some Google Search Partners in these countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czechia, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Poland, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UK and the US.
Shopping ads only appear on Google Search in Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa. In India, Shopping ads only appear on Google Search and some Google Search Partners.
Shopping ads are in beta for Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Portugal, Taiwan and United Arab Emirates. If you sell products to one or more of these countries, you're invited to submit products and participate in the beta programme. Learn more about beta target countries.