Cancelling your AdWords account
You can cancel your AdWords account at any time. This will automatically stop all your ads within 24 hours.
Bear in mind that you'll still need to pay for any accrued costs in your account. If you have money left in your account, we'll refund it to your payment method within four weeks. To learn more, read Managing billing after cancelling your AdWords account.
After you cancel, you’ll still be able to access the data in your AdWords account by logging into AdWords. If you want to use AdWords again in the future, you can reactivate your account at any time.
Cancelling your AdWords account is different from deleting your Google Account. When you cancel your AdWords account, your ads stop showing, but you’re still able to access the account. When you delete your Google Account, all Google product accounts associated with that account will be cancelled, and you'll be unable to access the accounts in the future. Your Gmail username will also be deleted and can't be used again in the future. Learn more about deleting your Google Account.
Before you cancel
Note that cancelling your AdWords account has the same effect as pausing your campaigns, with these exceptions:
- When you cancel your account, you can receive a refund for any unused account balance, excluding amounts from promotional offers.
- If you cancel your account, you'll need to reactivate your account first if you want to use it again in the future.
If you don't have unused funds in your account, you may want to pause your campaigns instead of cancelling your account.
Tips for optimisation
If you’re cancelling your account because you’re not happy with how your campaigns are performing, you may want to check out optimisation tips that could help. You can also contact us for further assistance or leave feedback about your AdWords experience.
Requirements for cancellation
To cancel your account, you'll need:
- Administrative access to your account
- Billing set up for your account
If you have a manager account and want to cancel one of your managed accounts:
- You’ll need administrative access to your manager account
- You need to have created the managed account that you’d like to cancel
- That managed account can have no other users with administrative access
Managing billing after cancellation
To learn what happens to funds and balances in your account after cancellation, read Managing billing after cancelling your AdWords account.
How to cancel your account
Choose the AdWords experience that you're using. Find out more
Problems cancelling your account
- If you don't see the option to cancel your account, you may not be eligible to cancel it. Review 'Requirements for cancellation' above.
- If your administrative access user left the company and you want to cancel your account, collect your Customer ID, sign-in email address and account billing information and contact AdWords support.