Cancelling your AdWords account
You can cancel your AdWords account at any time. This will automatically stop all your ads within 24 hours. You'll still need to pay for any accrued costs in your account, though. If you have money left in your account, we'll refund it to your payment method, but refunds can take up to 4 weeks to process.
If you want to use AdWords again in the future, you can reactivate your account at any time, and your details will still be there. You can also access the data in your account after you cancel it because the account is still tied to your email address.
Cancelling your AdWords account is different from deleting your Google Account. When you cancel your AdWords account, you stop your ad serving, but you're still able to access the account later. When you delete your Google Account, all products associated with that account will be cancelled, and you'll be unable to access the accounts in the future. Your Gmail username will also be deleted and can't be used again in the future. Learn more about deleting your Google Account.
Before you cancel
Cancelling your AdWords account has the same effect as pausing your campaigns, with these exceptions:
- When you cancel your account, you can receive a refund for any unused account balance, excluding amounts from promotional offers.
- If you want to use your AdWords account in the future, you need to reactivate your account first.
If you don't have unused funds in your account, we recommend that you pause your campaigns.
To cancel your account, you need to meet these requirements:
- You have administrative access to your account.
- Billing is set up for your account.
- If you manage an AdWords manager account: You have administrative access to the manager account, you created the managed account that you'd like to cancel, and that account has no other administrative users.
If you pay by automatic payments (you're charged automatically after your ads run), here are a couple of things to know about your final AdWords charges:
- If you have campaign activity you haven't paid for yet, you'll receive your final charges within the next 31 days.
- If your last automatic payment didn't go through, then you'll need to pay your outstanding balance before you can cancel your account.
We recommend that you follow these steps before cancelling your account:
- Turn off notifications for your email address.
- Add a new administrative email address to the account and remove your own if you'd like the ability to reuse your email address on a different AdWords or AdWords Express account in the future. It's not possible to have two AdWords accounts with the same email address, even if one of the accounts is cancelled.
How to cancel your account
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Account settings.
- In the "Account cancellation" section at the bottom of the page, click Cancel this account. This option won't appear if your AdWords account is already cancelled or if your user account doesn't have administrative access.
- In the pop-up box that appears, you can follow links to troubleshoot common issues, leave us feedback about why you're cancelling your account and confirm that you want to cancel your account by clicking Cancel my account at the bottom.
How you'll get your refund
If you have funds remaining in your account, we'll refund these to you after you cancel your account. We don't refund funds from promotional offers.If you pay by credit card or bank account (direct debit)
We'll refund the credit card or bank account that you used to make payments. It can take up to 4 weeks for your credit card or bank to process the refund.
We'll need your bank account details to process your refund. Follow the instructions in your account to send us your details. We'll process your refund within 4 weeks of receiving your information.
Paying for account balances after cancellation
If you have an account balance, we'll automatically charge your primary payment method within the next 31 days. Your final automatic charge will include any costs that your ads accrued before your cancellation and for which you haven't yet been billed.
Checking your account balance after cancellation
Even after you've canceled your account, you can sign in to AdWords and check whether you have unpaid advertising costs:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing & payments.
- Your unpaid advertising costs will be the amount shown under Your balance.
- To verify that you didn't accrue any additional charges on your account after your ads stopped running, click Transactions from the menu on the left and look for "Campaign activity" line items after the date that your ads stopped running.
Creating a new account
If you're planning to create a new AdWords account, you can use AdWords Editor to transfer all your campaigns from your old account to your new account. Just be sure to create your new account and at least one campaign first.
Fix a problem with account cancellation
- If you don't see the option to cancel your account, you may not be eligible to cancel it. Review "Before you cancel" above.
- If your administrative user left the company and you want to cancel your account, collect your Customer ID, sign-in email address, account billing information and contact AdWords support.
- Access your cancelled account.
- How to request a refund for any remaining balance in your account.
- How to request a review of a mistaken charge to your account.
- Copy your cancelled account's details to a new account using AdWords Editor.
- Stop receiving emails about your cancelled account.