Create video ads with AdWords for video
Starting in April 2014, AdWords for video will simplify its ad formats and network targeting settings. Learn more
AdWords for video is a campaign management tool specifically designed to help you build online video campaigns more quickly and deliver more video-specific reporting. You'll use YouTube-specific TrueView formats that can appear on YouTube, or in, on or around videos across the Google Display Network. These campaigns can only contain TrueView video formats, which use cost-per-view (CPV) pricing. Your video creatives must be hosted on YouTube. To build your AdWords for video campaign, you'll need to:
- Begin setting up your new campaign.
- Create your video ad formats.
- Define your targeting settings.
- You can make several different types of video ads in AdWords with two different tools: AdWords for video, and the display ad builder. Learn the difference between the two.
- Before you make your video ads, you may want to spend a little time exploring the best practices for creating effective video ads. This can help you get the best performance out of your ads right from the start.
- Link your YouTube account to AdWords: To take full advantage of AdWords for video reporting metrics within your account in the future, we recommend that you link your YouTube and AdWords accounts. Click Link your YouTube account from the AdWords for video side navigation menu on any AdWords for video campaign page. You can also link more than one YouTube account.
To create a video ad campaign, you'll need to build the basics of your campaign, then select your targeting settings. If you don't have an AdWords account, you can sign up and create your first video campaign at http://adwords.google.com.au/video.Start your video ad campaign
- Sign in to your AdWords account at http://adwords.google.com.au/video.
- If you've never created an AdWords for video campaign before, click New campaign > Online video above the campaign table.
- If you've created AdWords for video campaigns before:
- From the "All video campaigns view," click the Campaigns tab and click All video campaigns in the campaigns navigation list. You should see all campaigns within your account.
- Click + Campaign above the campaign table. You can load the settings for a previously created video campaign after this step.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Enter a daily budget.
- Choose your target locations and languages.
- Create a new video ad or skip to the next step. You can see instructions on how to create an ad in a later topic in this article.
- Click Save and continue.
First, you'll need to tell us how you'd like to price your ads:
- Name your targeting group.
- Select your cost-per-view (CPV) bid:
- You can select a default max CPV bid for all ads in the campaign.
- You can also click Customise bids per format to set an individual CPV bid per TrueView video ad format.
- Get updated traffic estimates: If you change your bid or any targeting options on the page, your traffic estimates will update. Press "Enter" on your keyboard after you've change the amount in the bid field to trigger the update.
Target your ads broadly: For the best results, we suggest that you focus on targeting broadly.
- By default when you set up your targeting, your settings will target all viewers. If you make any changes you'll be refining your targeting further.
- You're likely to get the best results by targeting demographics or topics and opting in to all TrueView video formats.
- If you use more than one targeting method at a time, we'll apply them all. For example, if you target a specific keyword, age and channel, your ads will only be shown when all those methods match your ad at the same time. This can restrict your impressions significantly.
Next, let us know how you'd like to reach viewers:
- Target people who are watching:
YouTube and the Google Display Network offer a few ways to reach particular audiences:
- Demographic: Target people by their age or gender.
- Viewing content (topics): Reach people based on general web content categories.
- User interested in (interests): Target people based on more specific interests.
Advanced audience options: You can also select even more targeting criteria, but be careful! Using too many of these can limit your ad's exposure. Additional options include:
- Shows ads on specific content (managed placements): Add unique websites or placements within those websites. For example, for a particular YouTube Channel, you can target an entire high-traffic blog or the homepage of a popular news site.
- Remarket to viewers (remarketing lists): Reach viewers based on their past interactions with your videos or YouTube channel. If you've linked your YouTube account to your AdWords account already, we'll create customised ones for you automatically. Learn more about remarketing lists for YouTube.
- Video remarketing list: Remarketing lists we've created for you will appear here, grouped by channel. You can also create a video remarketing list if your YouTube account is linked.
- AdWords remarketing list: Remarketing lists that you've created before will appear here. If you don't have any remarketing lists, and don't want to link your YouTube account, click Manage lists. This will open a new browser where you can create a new remarketing list for your account.
- Specify content keywords: Enter keywords that will help match your ads to web content. These work just like contextual targeting on the greater Google Display Network, but apply only to videos on the entire network (which includes YouTube videos).
- Target people who are searching (TrueView in-search):
- Search keywords: Enter keywords to reach viewers searching YouTube for video content.
- Click Add to add the keyword to your list for targeting.
- Traffic estimates: As you save your targeting criteria and update your settings for each option, your estimated traffic data will be updated, too!
- Click Save targeting group.
You can have up to 10 ads in a campaign. To create or edit your video ad for an existing campaign:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at http://adwords.google.com.au/video.
- Select the campaign that you want to edit.
- Click the Ads tab.
- Click New Video Ad above the ad table.
- Video: Select an existing YouTube video with the video picker. You can select a video by YouTube channel or user name, keyword, or URL.
- Formats: Allow us to select all possible TrueView video formats, or manually select your video formats. We recommend that you opt in to all possible formats for the highest audience visibility.
- Ad Attributes:
- Enter your ad text, Display and Destination URLs and ad name.
- Click Advanced ad attributes (optional) to customise your ad images further (including companion banners where applicable), and your video landing page.
- Click Customise images and destination page to further customise your ad images (including companion banners where applicable), your video landing page and YouTube custom channel gadget parameters.
- Ad Preview: Preview your ad in the formats that you've selected.
- Click Save.
Later on the Ads tab, you can:
- Create a new ad: Click +New Video Ad above the ad table.
- Edit your existing ad: Click Edit next to your ad to change your ad content. This will delete the existing ad and create a new version. Performance statistics will reset to zero.
- Pause, resume or delete ads: You can select one or more existing ads in the list and delete or pause them.
If you link your YouTube and AdWords accounts, you'll have the option to create a call-to-action overlay when you first create a video ad with AdWords for video. This is the same call-to-action overlay feature available through the video editing features for your videos on YouTube, and you can only create one for a video that is hosted on Youtube. The call-to-action overlay will only appear within the video when it is is seen on YouTube.
You can also add one to an existing video by clicking on +Add call-to-action overlay under the video name on the Videos tab.