About the Google Search Network
- Where Search Network ads can appear
- How to include or remove search partners
- Ad formats on search results pages
Where Search Network ads can appear
Your ads can appear with Google search results and on other search sites when your keywords are relevant to a user's search.
- Google search sites: Ads can appear beside, above, or below search results on Google Search or Google Shopping.
- Google search partners: Ads might appear with search results on websites of Google search partners. For text ads, search partners include hundreds of non-Google websites (like AOL), as well as Google Maps, Google Video, and other Google sites. Product Listing Ads can appear on search partner sites that display and link to products for sale. The clickthrough rate (CTR) for ads on search partner sites doesn't impact your Quality Score on Google.com.
How to include or remove search partners
When you create a campaign for the Search Network, search partners are included by default. Follow these steps to include or remove search partners from an existing Search campaign.
- From the Campaigns tab, click on the Search Network campaign you want to add search partners to.
- From this campaign, click the Settings tab.
- From the Settings tab, scroll down to "Networks" and click Edit.
- Check the box next to "Include search partners" to enable ads from this campaign to appear on search partner websites, or uncheck it to disable this campaign’s ads from showing on search partner websites.
- Click Save.
You have a business that offers face-painting services at parties for kids. If you add the keyword "children face painting" to your ad group, and then choose to include search partners, then your ads are eligible to appear on an AOL search results page when someone types "face painting."
Ad formats on the Search Network
- Text ads: The most common kind of Search ad. These ads appear with a "Ad" or "Ads" label on Google Search, and might have an "Ads by Google" label on partner sites.
- Ads with extensions: Ad extensions include extra business details, like your location, phone number, or seller rating.
- Product Listing Ads: Product Listing Ads display and link to products for sale. They're labeled as “Sponsored.”
- Image and video ads: Search partners can host image ads and video ads. Google Instant and your ads
- The person begins to type a search term on Google and clicks anywhere on the page (a search result, an ad, a spell correction, a related search).
- The person chooses a particular search term by clicking the Search button, pressing Enter, or selecting one of the predicted terms.
- The person stops typing, and the results are displayed for a minimum of three seconds.
How Google Instant works
Google Instant helps people find information faster by showing relevant results as they type a search term on Google search. As someone starts to type a search term, Google Instant automatically shows results for a popular search that begins with those letters. An algorithm tries to predict what the rest of the term might be based on popular searches typed by other users. The predicted text is shown in light grey in the search box, and search results and ads are automatically shown for that predicted term.
Although Google Instant won't change the way ads are served, ads and search results can show for a predicted search term. For example, if someone types "flow" into Google, an algorithm predicts that the user is searching for "flowers" (the predicted search term) and therefore displays search listings and ads for flowers. Those results will continue to show unless the next letters that the user types lead to a different predicted term.
How we count ad impressions
When someone searches using Google Instant, ad impressions are counted in the following situations:
We recommend monitoring your ads' performance the same way you usually do. Google Instant might increase or decrease your overall impression levels. However, Google Instant can improve the quality of your clicks since it helps people search using terms that more directly connect them with the answers they need. Therefore, your overall campaign performance could improve.