Make a payment
You can make a payment at any time, with any payment method that's available to you. To make one, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.co.uk.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing & payments. Go there now
- Click Make a payment.
You'll then be able to choose from any payment methods already associated with your account, or you can add a new payment method.
Read on to see how your payments work with your payment setting, whether it's manual or automatic.
Payments on the manual payment setting
- United States
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
If you're on the manual payment setting, you'll make a payment for your AdWords costs before your ads run, and that payment will be used to pay for your advertising costs once your ads start running.
You'll do this each time that you want to add money to your AdWords account, and whenever the money in your account starts getting low, we'll send you an email reminding you to make another payment.
Here's what to bear in mind as you make payments on this setting:
- Pay whatever amount you like: The amount that you pay is up to you, as long as it's above the minimum transaction amount for your location and currency. You'll see what that minimum is when you make a payment.
- Store your favourite payment methods in your account: You can make payments more quickly by storing multiple payment methods in your account.
- Use any payment method for your country and currency: You can make a payment with any payment method in your account, or with a new payment method that's available in your location and currency. Check to see what's available to you.
- Keep your ads running: Make a payment to ensure that your ads continue to run for a while—we suggest 30 times the cumulative amount of your ad campaign daily budgets. If your account balance is running low, we'll send an email (based on your notification settings) when your budget has less than 7 days worth of advertising funds.
- Allow for processing time: Depending on how you pay, it can take from 24 hours to a week or more for your payment to reach your account. Allow for this time when you're trying to keep your ads running.
- Remember VAT: In some countries, Google deducts Value-Added Tax (VAT) from your payments. If this is the case in your country, make sure that you factor the VAT deduction into your payments.
Payments on the automatic payment setting
If you're on the automatic payment setting – where you pay automatically after you accrue costs – you can still make a separate, manual payment for your costs at any time. You might want to make a payment for these reasons:
- You want more control over how and when you're charged. With a manual payment, you can pay your entire AdWords account balance, just a fraction of it or more than your balance to cover future costs. You can also pay with a new payment method or divide your balance among several of them. This can help delay when your primary payment method is charged. Bear in mind that sometimes if you make a manual payment close to when your automatic payment is due, you might be charged twice.
Let's say you have a campaign with a daily budget of £2,000 and that we charge your payment method whenever your costs reach £500. This means that you're charged multiple times a day.
Now let's say you make a payment for £10,000 with another payment method—essentially paying for five days worth of your advertising costs (£2,000 x 5 = £10,000). This means that your primary payment method won't be charged until you've used up your £10,000 payment and an additional £500, which triggers another charge.
- Your automatic payment was declined, and you want your ads to run. Banks decline credit card or bank account payments for various reasons. So if your payment method is ever declined, you can make a manual payment to help your ads keep running while you resolve the decline with your bank. If you make a payment by another credit card, bank transfer or another bank account, your account will start running again once we've received the payment.