Managing a large account or multiple accounts
If you're reading this article, then you've mastered the basics of AdWords and you're ready to learn about some of our advanced tools -- specifically, time-saving tools you can use to manage a large account or many accounts at once. We'll highlight: AdWords Editor, the AdWords Application Programming Interface (API), AdWords My Client Center (MCC), and AdWords ValueTrack. These tools can help you streamline workflow, build applications, and track detailed information about each click on your ads.
If you have one account, you can select multiple items on the campaign, keyword, ad group or ad tab, then to make changes to these selections using the Edit button. For example, you can select hundreds of ads, then change the ad text, the destination URL or the display URL across all these ads. You can make similar bulk changes to budgets of campaigns and ad groups, or bids on keywords, for instance.
If you have a large number of campaigns or keywords, AdWords Editor can streamline your account changes and save you time. The basic process is: download your account, edit your campaigns offline, then upload your changes to AdWords.
Whether you're editing one keyword or adding hundreds of text ads, Editor enables you to make changes to your account quickly and conveniently. Using Editor, you can:
- Perform detailed searches across campaigns
- Work offline, then upload your changes at any time.
- Make bulk changes, like updating bids or adding keywords.
- Copy or move items between ad groups and campaigns.
- Navigate through your account quickly and easily.
- Circulate proposed changes to other people and get feedback from them before you post changes.
AdWords Application Programming Interface
The Google AdWords Application Programming Interface (API) lets developers build applications that interact directly with the Google AdWords server. And the API is flexible and functional -- you can use it to build an application that meets your needs. Using the API, you can:
- Generate automatic keywords, ad text, destination URLs, and custom reports.
- Integrate AdWords data with your inventory system to manage campaigns based on stock.
- Develop additional tools and applications to help you manage accounts.
AdWords My Client Center
Think of a My Client Center (MCC) account as an umbrella account with several AdWords accounts ("managed accounts") linked to it. With MCC, you can manage multiple AdWords accounts quickly and easily from a single location. Using an MCC account, you can:
- Use a single login to access all managed accounts.
- Easily view multiple managed accounts, including other MCC accounts, via a My Client Center view.
- See relevant information for all managed accounts in one place.
- Run reports across multiple managed accounts at once or download the My Client Center view into a CSV file.
- Quickly create and link new AdWords accounts from within your MCC account.
Owners of individual managed accounts can, as always, sign in to their AdWords accounts and maintain access to their sign-in information.
Learn how to create a My Client Center account.
ValueTrack is our easy-to-use AdWords URL-tagging feature. You can use ValueTrack with Google Analytics or your own tracking solution to get detailed data about each click on your ad. This information allows you to adjust your campaigns and settings to improve your return on investment.
Here's how it works: when a person clicks your ad and visits your website, ValueTrack can record certain information, such as the site where the visitor clicked your ad, the specific ad that was shown, and the keyword that caused the ad to appear. To use ValueTrack, you'll add a special tag that we provide to your ad's destination URL.