About the Campaigns tab
This article applies to the previous AdWords experience. Determine which AdWords experience you’re using.
If you’re using the new AdWords experience, read Navigate the new AdWords experience.
The Campaigns tab is where you go to set up and manage your ads. Within this tab, you can change the settings of your ad groups, ads, and keywords. You can also see and customize your account statistics, download your data, and more.
Here's what the tab looks like, along with basic explanations of some terms you'll come across. Just click the terms below to get an overview of each one.1 and 2. Campaigns tabs
Get to the Campaigns tab by signing in to your AdWords account and clicking the Campaigns tab at the top. Think of this tab as your main gateway to access all of your campaigns and the features that can help you check and improve their performance.
No, you're not seeing double! As you get to know your AdWords account, you may notice that there's a second tab that's also called Campaigns. It's located in the middle of the page, next to the tab marked Ad groups. This second Campaigns tab shows an overview of all of your campaigns and their statistics at a glance. Just click on a campaign in the list to get a closer look at all of the ad groups within it. The Campaigns tab will disappear when you're looking at the ad groups.
You can get the same overview of all your campaigns by clicking All campaigns in the left panel of your account.
The Ad groups tab is a fast way to see and edit details of all the ad groups in your AdWords account. This tab can show you ad groups from a single campaign or from all campaigns.
The Settings tab lets you adjust settings that affect an entire campaign, such as budget, network and bidding options, language, location and device targeting, campaign end date, ad scheduling, and more.
The Ads tab is where you can view data about each individual ad in your account. This allows you to compare ads, see which ones are most successful, and use that information to create even better ads. You can also edit, pause, or remove ads that aren't performing as well as others.
The Keywords tab is a one-stop keyword management shop. You can see keywords that you've selected for all of your campaigns, or just those for a single ad group. You can also get performance and quality information about your keywords that can help you decide whether to create more keywords, or edit, pause, or remove the ones you've already created.
The Dimensions tab lets you slice and dice your data by the dimension of your choice across an ad group, a campaign, or your entire account. You can use Dimensions to view statistics that cut across other AdWords tabs. For example, you can view your total stats by month, hour, or geographic region. You can customize your table to compare your total clicks in January across ad groups, or see individual cities where your clicks came from.
The Display Network tab is where you can manage your display campaigns and see performance data about your ads on the Display Network. Manage your display campaigns by adding or editing targeting methods like keywords, placements, topics, interests and remarketing lists, gender, and age. See detailed information about how your ad groups perform, use data to optimize, manage bids, and remove low performing targeting methods. You can view your targeting methods within a single campaign or across all campaigns that target the "Display Network only" or "Search & Display Networks."
The Show tabs button contains other tabs that you can add to your account, including Ad extensions and Auto targets. Just click the boxes next to the ones that interest you.
The date range box lets you customize your statistics table on the Campaigns tab to see only the data from particular periods of time. If you decide to download your statistics table as a report, the report will contain only the information from the date range you selected.
The left panel of your AdWords account is full of shortcuts to many types of account information:
- Click All campaigns for a list of all your campaigns
- Click individual campaigns or the ad groups beneath them to be taken directly to them
- Click on the links for Shared library, Reports, Automated rules, and Custom alerts for status information, if you've enabled any of those features to run.
The statistics table below your graph shows detailed information about statistics such as clicks, impressions, and clickthrough rates. After you've created a view of your data that you're happy with, you can download your data as a report, schedule recurring reports, have them emailed to you, and export them in a range of formats.
The toolbar buttons help you quickly find and organize your account information. Use them to adjust your view so that your statistics table only displays the exact data you're interested in.
- Segments split your view of data into separate parts. There are many different segments that you can apply to your data, such as device, click type, and network, and time period. For example, you can segment your data according to the day of the week. If you find that your ad performance is dramatically different on Saturdays, you can modify your bids to account for the change in user behavior.
- Filters search your statistics table for specific information, such as keyword text, bids, and clickthrough rates (CTRs). For example, you can create a filter to only display keywords with a low CTR. Then you can decide whether to improve or pause them.
- Columns provide a variety of statistics about your account. Choose which ones you'd like to see in your table, then rearrange and save them in the order that you prefer. You can click any column name to sort by that topic. For instance, click the "Ad group" column to sort alphabetically by ad groups, or click the "Impressions" column to sort your ad groups from most impressions to least. Try clicking "Impressions" again to reverse the order and see your statistics from least impressions to most.
- The Graph button makes your performance graph visible or invisible and sets your graph display options.
- The Download button lets you download any view of your statistics table that you've created to create reports in formats like .csv and .pdf. You can choose to email the report and schedule recurring downloads.
- The Filter search box allows you to quickly filter your statistics table view by campaign name, ad group name, ad text, or keyword text.
Performance graphs let you compare trends on every level of your campaign, and you can customize the information that each graph displays. For example, you can compare your total clicks from this week to clicks from last week. Find graphs on your Campaigns, Ad groups, Ads, Keywords, and Display Network tabs. If a graph isn't visible above your table, click on the toolbar above the table to see your graph options. Make sure the "Show graph" checkbox is selected.