Google provides translated versions of our Help Centre as a convenience, though they are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version is the official language we use to enforce our policies. To view this article in a different language, use the language drop-down at the bottom of the page.
If you're selected to undergo advertiser identity verification, you'll receive an email and an in-account notification with instructions. Don't apply for identity verification for Google Ads accounts that we haven't requested.
Important note on advertiser identity
Ads run by advertisers who complete the advertiser identity verification will contain a disclosure using the information provided during the verification programme. This means that your name, or the name of the organisation or business that you represent, and country, will be displayed in a disclosure that's automatically generated by Google. Find out more about Advertiser transparency and disclosures.
If you intend to run election ads, you must complete election ads verification instead. Accounts that have completed advertiser identity verification only won't be able to run election ads.
The steps required to complete identity verification for certain Google Ads accounts may differ, depending on your account and structure, your billing setup and if you're advertising on behalf of an organisation or individual. Learn more about advertiser identity verification.
- You must only complete identity verification for the Google Ads accounts listed in the notification email requesting you start the verification programme.
- You must be an authorised representative to complete verification on behalf of an organisation.
- You will have 30 days to submit documentation for verification. If you don't submit documentation within this time frame, your account will be paused. Multiple failed attempts to complete the verification programme may result in account pausing.
Google verifies advertiser identity through a two-step process:
Step 1: Complete the form included in the verification email, submitting all requested information and documentation:
- You can choose to verify your business/organisation name or individual name depending on your Google Ads account. If you need to be verified as an organisation, the 'Account type' selected for your Google Ads payment profile must be 'Business'. If you're an individual, your 'Account Type' must be 'Individual'. If you're an agency or someone who manages multiple Google Ads accounts, each selected account will need to apply for verification.
Note: You can check your 'Account type' in your Google Ads payments profile via the 'Settings' page for 'Billing & payments'. Note that your 'Account type' can’t be modified. If your 'Account type' is 'Individual', but you need to verify as an organisation, or vice versa please, contact us before starting the verification programme.
- For organisations, the verification programme must be completed by an authorised representative. If you're an agency representing an advertiser, this can be an agency representative. For individuals, the named individual must complete the verification programme.
- The country selected during the verification programme must match the address submitted on any business or organisation registration documents, or identity documents for individuals. This country will be displayed in the disclosure on any ads the advertiser runs.
- The name submitted as the advertiser name must be the advertiser’s legal name. See below for further requirements. This name will be displayed in the disclosure on any ads that the advertiser runs.
- If you're an agency, the advertiser name must be the advertiser that you're representing. If you manage multiple Google Ads accounts, the advertiser’s legal name for each account will need to be verified independently.
- Organisations are required to submit registration documents. Acceptable documents include a W9 or an IRS-issued letter or document (not IRS forms) showing the organisation name, organisation address and EIN.
- Google will review your application and send you an email notification about your step 1 verification status within 3-5 working days. Once step 1 is successfully completed, you may be asked to complete step 2 via an email and an in-account notification (in a red bar at the top of your Google Ads account).
Step 2: You'll need to complete the in-account identity check, submitting all requested information and documentation, including ID, for the authorised representative.
- Organisations are required to submit registration documents (similar to step 1). Acceptable documents include a W9 or an IRS issued letter or document (not IRS forms) showing the organisation name, organisation address and EIN.
- Individuals and authorised representatives must submit a US Government-issued photo ID as part of the verification programme. Acceptable documents include a passport, national insurance card, driving licence or residence permit.
- Google will review your application and send you an email notification about your step 2 verification status within 3-5 working days.
- Please note that step 2 verifies the information on the payments profile linked to the Google Ads account. If you change the payments profile linked to the Ads account, you'll have to complete step 2 of the verification programme again.
Bear in mind
- You have 30 days to start the verification programme from the time that you receive the notification. If you don't complete the verification programme within the 30-day window, your ads won't be able to serve until you're verified by Google.
- Once you submit your documentation for verification, you must complete the verification programme within 30 days, or your ads won't be able to serve.
- If we find that you violate our Google ads policy, or you’ve provided false information during the verification programme, your verification will be revoked, and your account may be suspended.
- You may need to renew your verification periodically. You’ll receive a notification when this verification is required You may also be asked to re-verify your identity if there are significant changes in your Google ads account, such as moving locations, changing websites or payment profile.
- Google may update these verification requirements at any time