To ensure a safe and trustworthy ad experience for users, we may require advertisers to complete a verification program. Advertisers must also comply with Google Ads policies.
Currently only US advertisers can complete advertiser identity verification.
To increase transparency for users, advertisers will be required to verify their legal name through advertiser identity verification. Google will verify your identity and generate a disclosure on any ads you run, displaying your name and country. Find out more about transparency and ad disclosures here.
As part of a phased rollout, certain advertisers may be selected to complete this verification program first. Those who meet one of the below example criteria may be prioritized as Google expands this requirement across our Ad network:
Promotion of products, goods, and services.Examples: Retail, media and entertainment, travel, B2B, technology, etc.Promotion of informational, advisory, or educational content.Examples: Content promoting educational resources, research and statistics, free health or financial advice, charitable or social causes, etc.Promotion of content related to regulated industries.Examples: Gambling and games, financial products or services, healthcare products or services etc.
Advertisers who are required to complete advertiser identity verification will be notified and given 30 days to submit documentation. Once you submit your documentation, you must complete the program within 30 days, or your ads will stop serving. Multiple failed attempts to complete the verification program will result in your ads not serving.
Important note on advertiser identity
Ads run by advertisers who complete the advertiser identity verification will contain a disclosure using the information provided during the verification program. This means that your name, or the name of the organization or business you represent, and country, will be displayed in a disclosure that is automatically generated by Google. Find out more about Advertiser transparency and disclosures.
On Google Search, the disclosure will show in "About this advertiser"
On YouTube, the disclosure will show in “Why this ad?” which can be accessed through the info icon or the 3-dot icon
On websites and apps that partner with Google for display ads, the disclosure will show in “Why this ad?” which can be accessed through the AdChoices icon
Currently only US advertisers can complete advertiser identity verification.
If you are selected to undergo advertiser identity verification, you will receive an email and an in-account notification.
You will have 30 days to submit documentation for verification. If you do not submit documentation within this time frame, your ads will no longer be able to serve. Once you submit your documentation, you must complete the program within 30 days. You will not be able to serve ads if you do not meet these requirements.
Multiple failed attempts to complete the verification program may result in your ads not serving.
Google verifies advertiser identity through a two step process:
Step 1: Complete the form included in the verification email, submitting all requested information and documentation:
- You can choose to verify your business/organization name or individual name depending on your Google Ads account. If you need to be verified as an organization, the “Account type” selected for your Google Ads payment profile must be “Business.” If you are an individual your “Account Type” must be "Individual". If you are an agency or someone who manages multiple Google Ads accounts, each selected account will need to apply for verification.
Note: You can check your “Account type” in your Google Ads payments profile via the “Settings” page for “Billing & payments.” Note that your “Account type” can’t be modified. If your “Account type” is “Individual,” but you need to verify as an organization, or vice versa, we recommend that you create a new Google Ads account with the appropriate “Account type” setting before applying for verification.
- For organizations, the verification program must be completed by an authorized representative. If you are an agency representing an advertiser, this can be an agency representative. For individuals, the named individual must complete the verification program.
- The country selected during the verification program must match the address submitted on any business or organization registration documents, or identity documents for individuals. This country will be displayed in the disclosure on any ads the advertiser runs.
- The name submitted as the advertiser name must be the advertiser’s legal name. See below for further requirements. This name will be displayed in the disclosure on any ads the advertiser runs.
- If you are an agency, the advertiser name must be the advertiser you are representing. If you manage multiple Google Ads accounts, the advertiser’s legal name for each account will need to be verified independently.
- Organizations are required to submit registration documents. Acceptable documents include a W9 or an IRS document showing the organization name, organization address, and EIN.
- Google will review your application and send you an email notification about your step 1 verification status within 3-5 business days. Once Step 1 is successfully completed, you may be asked to complete step 2 via an email and an in-account notification (in a red bar at the top of your Google Ads account).
Step 2: You will need to complete the in-account identity check, submitting all requested information and documentation, including ID, for the authorized representative.
- Organizations are required to submit registration documents (similar to step 1). Acceptable documents include a W9 or an IRS document showing the organization name, organization address and EIN.
- Individuals and authorized representatives must submit a US Government-issued photo ID as part of the verification program. Acceptable documents include a passport, national/state ID card, driver’s license, or residence permit.
- Google will review your application and send you an email notification about your step 2 verification status within 3-5 business days.
- Please note that step 2 verifies the information on the payments profile linked to the Google Ads account. If you change the payments profile linked to the Ads account you will have to complete step 2 of the verification program again.
For more information see Advertiser FAQs.
Keep in mind
- You have 30 days to start the verification program from the time you receive the notification. If you do not complete the verification program within the 30 day window, your ads will not be able to serve until you are verified by Google.
- Once you submit your documentation for verification, you must complete the verification program within 30 days, or your ads will not be able to serve.
- If we find that you violate our Google ads policy, or you’ve provided false information during the verification program, your verification will be revoked, and your account may be suspended.
- You may need to renew your verification periodically. You’ll receive a notification when this verification is required. You may also be asked to re-verify your identity if there are significant changes in your Google ads account, such as moving locations, changing websites, or payment profile.
- Google may update these verification requirements at any time.
Inaccurate names or ‘doing business as’ names, brand or product names, that do not match the legal name of the advertiser. The advertiser name must be the legal name of the advertiser, and match any registration documents submitted during the verification program. For agencies, the name must be the legal name of the advertiser you are representing.
Capitalization, promotional language, or domains, unless they are part of a valid legal name.
Special characters such as emojis, opening hours, product or service information, or phone numbers.
- If you do not submit documentation within the 30 days notice period, or complete the verification program within 30 days your ads will not be able to serve. Start the verification program again, and once successfully completed your ads will serve.
- Your ads will not be able to serve if you try to complete the verification program unsuccessfully through excessive attempts. If you believe this is an error or need further assistance, contact us to appeal the decision. Most appeals are reviewed within 3-5 business days, though some can take longer if they need a more complex review.
To learn more about your business, we may ask you to verify information regarding your business operations. This may include details about your business, such as your business model, business registration information, types of services you offer, business practices, and relationships with advertised brands or third parties, if applicable.
Advertisers may be selected to complete business operations verification if, for example, the advertising behavior has been identified as unclear or their ad content is deemed as potentially misleading. We want to ensure that users understand who is providing the advertised products or services on Google ads.
Advertisers who are required to complete business operations verification will be notified and given 30 days to submit the verification form. Once the verification form is completed and reviewed by Google, advertisers that do not meet the requirements of this verification program outlined below will not be able to serve any ads.Business operations verification
To successfully complete business operations verification, advertisers must submit all requested information within the time period specified by Google (30 days once notified). The following may impact ads serving in your account.
Failure to complete verification within the specified time period
Submission of incomplete information during the verification program
Additionally, upon review of the information provided during the business operations verification program, Google may consider your business model, operations or practices as unclear. This may be due to multiple reasons but not limited to the following.
Inconsistent or inaccurate information provided during the verification program
Unsubstantiated relationships with third parties or advertised brands where applicable
Lack of clarity on the end provider of the products or services advertised
Your ads may not serve if your business model, operations or practices are deemed unclear. You must successfully complete this verification program to resume ad serving in your account.
- If you are unable to complete the verification program, or have been unsuccessful, you will no longer be able to serve ads in your Google Ads account.
- If you believe this is an error, or no longer applicable, contact us to appeal the decision. Make sure that you provide all the information required in the appeals form. Most appeals are reviewed within 5-7 business days, though some can take longer if they need a more complex review.
To protect our users, we allow only legitimate advertisers to promote content associated with certain regulated industries, such as Gambling and games, Healthcare and medicines, and Financial products or services. If you would like to advertise this content on our platform, you may be required to complete the verification program to prove you meet local licensing requirements. You may also have to complete additional identity checks.
We continually review our ad policies in light of industry changes and abuse trends, and may introduce new verification requirements for certain content.
Ad formats and features
To ensure quality ads, we may require advertisers to complete additional verification to access advanced ad formats and features of Google Ads, such as HTML5 ads and Local Services ads. We review all our ad formats for policy violations and abuse, and may introduce new verification requirements to access certain ad formats.