AdSense for domains (AFD)
Hosted domains have been retired
After evaluating the benefits of our partner network, we’ve decided to retire the Hosted domains product within AdSense. Going forward, undeveloped domains will only be served through our existing AdSense for domains distribution network.
If you have hosted domains in your AdSense account, they will be affected by this upcoming change, which will follow the schedule below:
- February 22: AdSense publishers can no longer start using the Hosted domains product.
- March 21: You will no longer be able to create new hosted domains.
- April 18: Hosted domains will become inactive and it will no longer be possible to earn from them.
- June 27: Hosted domains will no longer be available in AdSense accounts.
How to continue monetizing
To continue monetizing your undeveloped domains, you'll need to migrate your domain portfolio to a new domain parking provider of your choice. Domain parking providers specialize in monetizing undeveloped domains, offer competitive rates, and will help you migrate your domain portfolio. To get started, follow the steps in our guide to migrating your hosted domains.
To see whether you will be affected by this change, click Hosted domains under “Domains” on the My ads tab of your AdSense account.
The hosted domains listed here will all be affected by this change regardless of status, and will eventually stop earning revenue in your AdSense account. Details on upcoming changes to Hosted domains:
|Feb 22, 2012||No new publishers for Hosted domains||AdSense publishers with existing access to Hosted domains will continue to be able to use Hosted domains until April 18, 2012.|
|Mar 21, 2012||No new hosted domains for existing publishers||AdSense publishers with access to Hosted domains will no longer be able to add new domains to their account. Hosted domain channels will also be read-only as of this date.|
|Apr 18, 2012||Hosted domains cease monetizing||All hosted domains in AdSense will stop serving ads and cease accruing earnings. Domain settings and channels will still be accessible, but will be read-only in AdSense.|
|Jun 27, 2012||Hosted domains become unavailable in AdSense||Hosted domains settings and channels will no longer be accessible in AdSense. Performance reports will continue to be available until April 18, 2013.|
Other AdSense products
Although Hosted domains is going away, this change won’t affect any other AdSense products you’re currently using or the availability of other products to you.
Your hosted domains will continue to accrue earnings until April 18, when they will stop showing ads. As of the last day of April 2012, your earnings will be finalized as usual. At this point, one of the following will apply:
- If your earnings exceed the payment threshold, your account will be sent for approval for payment, and payments will be issued through the standard AdSense payment process.
- If your earnings do not exceed the payment threshold, but you use other AdSense products, your Hosted domains earnings will be accrued toward payment in a future period when your AdSense account does exceed the payment threshold.
- If your earnings do not exceed the payment threshold and you don’t use other AdSense products then the amount of accrued earnings from your hosted domains will remain as a balance in your AdSense account for as long as your account is open.
Reports and earnings
Reporting on your hosted domains and corresponding channels will remain available until April 18, 2013. Even though you will no longer be able to access Hosted domain settings and channels, you will be able to see historical performance of them on the Performance reports page of your AdSense account.
Frequently asked questionsHow do I know if I will be affected by this change?
If you have active hosted domains in your AdSense account, you’ve been using AdSense for domains to monetize your undeveloped domains. Hosted domains shows up in your AdSense account on the left with any other products that you use. When you click Hosted domains under “Domains," any domains you see listed will be affected by this change.
Yes. AdSense for domains policies apply to your hosted domains for the duration that they are active in AdSense. Beyond this, general AdSense program policies will continue to apply for your AdSense account.
Unfortunately we cannot grant any extensions, so we've provided you with several months to migrate your undeveloped domain portfolio to a new domain parking provider. You can continue to monetize your Hosted domains with AdSense for domains until April 18. Your Hosted domains settings and channels will be available for you to download until June 27.
Jason is an AdSense expert and the author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.