Ad placement and how to create it
An ad placement is a specific group of ad units on which an advertiser can choose to place their ads using placement targeting. Ad placements can be as broad as an entire website or as specific as a single ad unit. Placements are made visible to advertisers in two ways:
- Placements automatically created by our system. Each publisher website in the AdSense network is automatically made available to advertisers as a placement where they can target their ads. When advertisers target this type of placement, their ads may appear anywhere on the website.
- Placements defined by publishers. You have the ability to define your own ad placements using your custom channels. You choose how to group together specific ad units on your site that you want advertisers to be able to target. Common ways of grouping ad units into custom channels are by topic, ad format, or location on a page. When advertisers target publisher-defined ad placements, their ads may only appear in the specific ad units the publisher has selected.
How do I make an ad placement?
You can create a custom channel that is also a targetable ad placement by following these steps:
- Sign in to your account at http://www.google.com/adsense.
- Under the My ads tab, visit the Custom channels page.
- Click the name of the channel you'd like to make targetable. Or, click "New custom channel".
- In the Targeting section, check the box.
- Enter the requested details:
- Ads appear on: Note where ads in this placement appear on your site -- on the homepage, or on other types of pages.
- Ad location: Select the location on the page where ads in this placement appear. For example, you might make a placement featuring ads in the top right of your pages.
- Description: Advertisers will see the name and description, so provide an accurate and informative summary that will represent your site well.
- Site language: The primary language of your site content.
- Click "Save". Advertisers will soon see your ad placement among the available places on which to display their ads.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
- If you have a custom channel that spans multiple sites, advertisers will see it split up into multiple ad placements by site.
- If you edit the channel name later, you'll lose any existing advertiser bids for that placement.
- Placement-targeted advertising will only appear on your content pages.
If you misrepresent your ad placement, you will lose advertiser bids for that placement. Depending on the severity of the misrepresentation, you may also lose the ability to create ad placements, have your payment adjusted, or have your account disabled. It's in your best interest, and advertisers', to be accurate.