Clear search
Close search
Google apps
Main menu

How pros qualify for Home Service ads

To help provide peace of mind when booking a pro through Home Services, Google requires all guaranteed pros (and each pro's business) to undergo a series of screening procedures, including background checks, verification of insurance and licenses, online reputation audits, and interviews.

How Google screens Home Service advertisers

Background checks

All guaranteed pros undergo background checks by Pinkerton Consulting and Investigations, Inc., a third-party risk management and security company.

Background checks include inquiries about the validity of each pro’s Social Security number and criminal history (including cross-checks against national sex offender, terrorist, and sanctions registries). In addition, each pro’s company is checked for applicable trade licenses, insurance, and civil litigation history (including judgments & liens from federal and state courts).

You can read more about the requirements in our Policy Center.

License checks

Each pro’s business is checked for the following licenses:

  • Locksmith companies need a valid license from the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services. They also need a general contractor's license to perform services costing more than $500.
  • Plumbers, handyman, contractors, electricians, and HVAC pros need a contractor’s license to perform services costing more than $500. Plumbers, handymen, electricians, and HVAC pros without a contractor’s license may still be featured in Home Services, but are prohibited from performing services that cost more than $500.
  • Painters need a valid C-33 (Painting and Decorating Contractor) license, and may perform services costing more than $500.
  • Garage door pros need a valid D-28 (Doors, Gates, and Activating Devices Contractor) license, and may perform services costing more than $500.
  • Auto glass service companies need a valid Automotive Repair Dealer license issued by the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.
  • Roadside assistance service companies need a valid Class C or Class B license. They also need a Motor Carrier Permit issued by the CA DMV office when performing towing services. 
  • House cleaners aren’t required to have a license.

Insurance checks

Each pro’s business must carry insurance coverage for work performed.

Reputation assessment

We want to connect you with high-quality, recommended, and trusted pros. That’s why we also do research on the online reputations of each Home Service pro.

We collect ratings and reviews from people who hired Home Service pros. As described in our Policy Center, serious or repeatedly negative customer feedback may result in lower rankings (including not showing at all).

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve it?