Why you're seeing an ad
When you see an ad from Google's network, you can see more details:
- Google services, such as Google Search, YouTube or Gmail: Click Info Why This Ad.
- Non-Google websites and apps that partner with Google to show ads: Click AdChoices .
- Your info:
- Info in your Google Account, such as your age range and gender
- Your general location
- Your activity:
- Your current search query
- Previous search activity
- Your activity while you were signed in to Google
- Your previous interactions with ads
- Types of websites that you visit
- Types of mobile app activity on your device
- Your activity on another device
- Other info:
- The time of day
- Info that you gave to an advertiser, such as if you signed up for a newsletter with your email address
Google can personalise ads so that they're more useful to you.
Personalised ads aren't shown or hidden from you based on sensitive categories, such as race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
- Ads on Google services: You might see ads with results on Google Search, or before you watch a video on YouTube.
- Ads on non-Google websites and apps: Non-Google websites and apps (such as a newspaper's website or a gaming app) partner with Google to show ads.
Ads are necessary for many websites to provide free services or information. Ads also help keep many Google services free.
As an ad network, Google connects:
- People who own websites with ad space
- People who want to promote a product
- People who think that the product is interesting
Google doesn't sell your personal info to anyone, and doesn't let anyone read your emails to show you ads.
- Websites that host ads can only see info that you ask Google to share.
- Advertisers can only see how well their ads are performing.
Learn more about how Google ads work.
Google's advertising standards
Google takes part in industry groups that create and follow standards in online advertising:
- Australia: Australian Digital Advertising Alliance
- Canada: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada
- Europe: European Digital Advertising Alliance
- United States: Digital Advertising Alliance & Network Advertising Initiative