Create a banner ad unit
Banner ad units display rectangular ads that occupy a portion of an app's layout. They can refresh automatically after a set period of time. This means that users will see a new ad at regular intervals, even if they stay on the same screen in your app. They're also the simplest ad format to implement.
Banner ad units can show the following types of ads: Text, image and rich media and Video (coming soon).
The following steps will help you to create a new ad unit in your AdMob account, then implement it in your app code. You must complete all of these steps to start showing ads in this ad unit.
- Sign in to your AdMob account at https://apps.admob.com.
- Click Apps in the sidebar.
- Select the name of the app that you're creating the ad unit for. If you can't see it in the list of recent apps, you can click Add app to add a new app or click All apps to search a list of all of the apps that you've added to AdMob.
- Click Ad units in the sidebar.
- Click Add ad unit.
- Click Select for the Banner ad format.
- Enter a name for this ad unit. Recommended: Include relevant information, such as ad format and location in your app to make it easier to identify later.
- (optional) Complete the advanced settings for this ad unit:
- Ad type: Choose the ad type(s) allowed to be shown in this ad unit. You can choose any combination of ad types by ticking the boxes. Unticking all of the boxes will result in an error. You must choose at least one ad type for each ad unit. Suggestion: To try and help maximise revenue for this ad unit, we suggest ticking all of the boxes.
- Automatic refresh: Determines how often a new ad request is generated for this ad unit. Recommended: Select Google optimised to let AdMob manage the refresh rate for you. The Google-optimised rate is calculated using AdMob historical data to ensure that the ads shown in your ad units are being refreshed at the best rate for banner ads. You may also set a custom refresh rate of 30-150 seconds or disable the automatic refresh rate completely.
eCPM floor: You can set an eCPM floor (also known as a minimum eCPM) for each ad unit you create. This instructs the AdMob Network not to serve ads to this ad unit with eCPM values below the minimum eCPM that you’ve set.
This eCPM floor only applies to the AdMob Network. It doesn't apply to third-party ad networks and custom events configured as ad sources in a mediation group.
- Click the eCPM floor toggle to turn it on and enable eCPM floors for your ad unit.
- Enter a global eCPM value for the AdMob Network to use as a floor.
(optional) Country-specific floors: If you've enabled an eCPM floor in the previous step, you can click Add country-specific floors to add country-specific eCPM floors for this ad unit. Country-specific eCPM floors will override this ad unit’s global eCPM value only when ad requests originate from the selected country.
- Select a country for which you want to set a specific floor. It will be added to the list of selected countries. You can select whole regions, or expand each section to view the individual countries within a region.
- Click the icon beside the country or region you selected and enter an eCPM floor value.
- Click Set to save the eCPM value.
- Repeat these steps for each country you select.
- Click Create ad unit.
- Follow the instructions in the Google Developers Get Started (Android, iOS) guide to implement this ad unit in your app code to start showing ads. You will need your app ID and ad unit ID during implementation.
This ad unit won't show ads until you've completed this step. If you're not ready to implement the ad unit, you can click Email this to send the instructions by email or click Done to exit the page.