If your app already requests location permissions from users, AdMob will automatically pass their location data to the SDK and use this data to improve ad targeting without any code changes to your app. AdMob will never automatically pass location data unless a user has already given location permissions to your app. You can turn off this feature at any time by going to App settings.
To make changes to an app's location data setting, complete the following steps:
- Sign in to your AdMob account at https://apps.admob.com.
- Click Apps in the sidebar.
- Select the name of the app. Note: If you don't see it in the list of recent apps, click View all apps. Then, click the name of the app.
- Click App settings in the sidebar.
- Use the toggle to change the Use location data for ads setting:
- On: User location data will be passed to the SDK and used to serve location-based ads to the user.
- Off: User location data won’t be passed to the SDK or used to serve location-based ads to the user, even if location data is available.
- Click Save. If you're disabling location data for ads, you may be prompted to confirm this selection.
Android location method
There are additional location methods for Android and iOS that can be implemented in an app’s code. These methods will only be used in the event that user location data can’t be accessed or you’ve disabled location data for ads in the app’s Settings tab.
If location data for ads is enabled in the app’s Settings tab, we will default to the location passed automatically to the SDK.