Allow smaller ads
By default, Ad Manager accepts some creatives that are smaller than the inventory size. Ad contraction makes inventory and creatives more compatible with each other and enables more ads to compete for your inventory.
Ad slots eligible for contraction
Ad contraction currently applies to backfill display and out-stream video ad slots on desktop web, mobile web, and apps. Not all ad slots are currently capable of contraction, though we’re working to increase eligibility.
Determining how small of an ad is accepted
Ad Manager considers both user experience and revenue uplift when determining the optimal minimum creative size for an ad slot.
When the ad slot is collapsed
Ad Manager collapses the ad slot when it’s unlikely to cause reflow, or the delayed loading of an ad after the rest of the site/app has already loaded.
- If we collapse the ad slot, there won’t be any whitespace around the ad.
- If there’s a likelihood of reflow, we won’t collapse the ad slot, and there may be some remaining whitespace around the ad.
Disable ad contraction
Only available in Google Ad Manager 360.
You can turn off ad contraction in network settings, though we recommend keeping it enabled for optimal performance. You can update the setting now, but it won’t affect serving until the flexible sizes feature is deprecated.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Admin Global settings.
The Network settings tab is selected by default.
- Deselect the Enable ad slot contraction in backfill checkbox.