You can traffic ads that appear when the user opens or switches back to an app. App open ads appear on the loading or splash screen.
Get started with app open ads
- Before setting up app open ads, be sure to review the app open guidelines.
- To create line items eligible for app open, follow the general directions on how to create a line item, making the following selections along the way:
- For phones, line items need to be 320x480 (Mobile Portrait Full Screen) and/or 480x320 (Mobile Landscape Full Screen).
- For tablets, line items need to be 1024x768 (Tablet Landscape Full Screen) and/or 768x1024 (Tablet Portrait Full Screen).
- Targeting (optional):
- In the “Add targeting” section, you can select Show more Inventory format App open to have the line item specifically target app open ads.
- Other formats will automatically be excluded.
- Add creatives using the same sizes listed above.
- Follow the instructions in the Google developer documentation (Android | iOS) to implement app open ads.
- To see how your app open ads are performing, create a report with Inventory Inventory format as a dimension.
App open impressions have a value of App Open in the “Inventory format” column of the report.
How app open ads render
Google manages the full rendering of the app open ad. An app open ad consists of two parts:
- The top of the screen displays the publisher branding section, which contains the app icon, name, and a button that allows users to dismiss the ad and view the app content.
- The rest of the screen displays the actual ad, which can be served through programmatic or traditional transactions.
Third-party mediation and Open Bidding
Ad Manager doesn’t currently support Google Mobile Ads SDK mediation for app open ads. However, third-party buyers that don’t require a third-party SDK for rendering can buy via Open Bidding as follows:
- Create a yield group.
- Select Banner as the “Ad format.”
- Select Mobile app as the “Inventory type.”
- Next to “Targeting,” keep “Inventory size” as All inventory sizes.
- Enter the remaining settings and click Save.
App open ads help monetize your mobile app loading experience. They're served when a user opens or switches back to your app.
The following guidelines help you implement app open ads without violating existing policies.
Your app open ads must comply with Ad Manager's ad placement policies. In addition, review the following before placing app open ad units:
- App open ad units only appear when the user opens or switches back to an app.
- Place app open ads on an app’s splash or loading screen. Review the example app open implementations for how to best implement app open ads on these screens.
- Don’t implement ads immediately before or after app open ads.
- Review your app’s performance and adjust the app open ad frequency caps accordingly.
- App open ads perform best with apps that have a high frequency of opens per daily user. Apps that are opened more than once every 4 hours see the highest performance from app open ads. If you have an app that doesn't meet this criteria, consider using another ad format.
Use the following examples to implement your app open ads.